Division Das Reich Im Bild (photo lower right pg 237)

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
J. Buck

Division Das Reich Im Bild (photo lower right pg 237)

Post by J. Buck »

Amazingly upon reviewing photos from this book i am 99.9% certain that the man in this photo is my great uncle. This is an unbelievably lucky discovery. Can anyone tell me about this photo, what is black thing siting on his chest?, what gun is next to him?, what rings are those on his hands?, what is case under his right arm. Can you tell his rank, (at this point I believe he was an unterscharfuhrer. What are straps for?, what kind of helmet?, is that camo uniform? Every tidbit of info anyone can add would be phenomenal, Thanks in advance. J. Buck
Hans N
Supporter

Post by Hans N »

Amazingly upon reviewing photos from this book i am 99.9% certain that the man in this photo is my great uncle. This is an unbelievably lucky discovery. Can anyone tell me about this photo,

what is black thing siting on his chest?

Is a protectiondevise for top end of binoculars.

what gun is next to him?

It looks like a MP40.

what rings are those on his hands?,

difficult to se.

what is case under his right arm.

it could be a case for maps or where he´s carrying his ammoclips for the MP40.

Can you tell his rank,

It´s not possible to tell from the foto. But he could be a NCO from the binoculars point of view.

(at this point I believe he was an unterscharfuhrer. What are straps for?, what kind of helmet?, is that camo uniform?

Yes, it´s a cammosmock.

Every tidbit of info anyone can add would be phenomenal, Thanks in advance.

regards

Hans N
J. Buck

Post by J. Buck »

Thanks Hans, For helping me with this incredibly lucky find. Best Regards, John Buck
Abwehr
Contributor

Post by Abwehr »

That is what I love about being into history...you inadvertently stumble onto personal/familial roots as well.

Not to hijack this thread, J. Buck, but is that book good? Worth the $?
J. Buck

Das Reich Im Bild is worth the cost

Post by J. Buck »

Yes the book Das Reich Im Bild is excellent filled with a tremendous amount of excellent photos and the book I have has english captions. Well worth the money, especially now considering my great uncle's photo is in it. J. Buck