Otto Baum biography - Question for Mark

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Al Carter

Otto Baum biography - Question for Mark

Post by Al Carter »

Mark,

Do you know of a biography of Otto Baum, or do you know of a biography in the works.

Also for all, what prominent Waffen-SS soldiers have biographies?

Thanks in advance,

Al Carter
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. ~Joseph Stalin~
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Al

Everything I had for Baum in photos and data, both period documentation and via his papers and recollections, etc, I put in Waffen-SS Commanders vol. 1 (includes award text recommendations). Off the top of my head the following Waffen-SS combat officers have seperate volume biographies:

Paul Hausser (German text, haven't seen but told mostly on his units, not him)
Otto Kumm (English)
Felix Steiner (a modern German one and his own books done in the 60s)
Ernst August Krag (English)
Otto Weidinger (English)
Otto Skorzeny (several)
Sepp Dietrich (German text book, told similar to above Hausser bio) and the excellent one by Messenger, one of my favorite books
Leon Degrelle (memoirs in English)
Heinrich Springer (German text, haven't read and don't know if all him or units)

Someone was supposed to be researching a Wunsche bio but haven't heard anything further in some time. I'm also aware of a more extensive Skorzeny book being done. For field grade commanders, unless alive for details/diaries/etc, biographical facts and some combat reports are generally the limit. Photo count determines if a book in SB format like can be done. Otherwise the data must be incorporated with another topic to be large enough to publish.

The corps and divisional commanders I covered as far as fact data and award recommendations with considerable photos in the 2 "Waffen-SS Commander" volumes. Some I'd researched were not KC (such as Kempin) or not large enough for a seperate book (like Baum) and did the 2 books to be able to publish their bios.

The lower commanders, as well as the award, is why I've embarked on the German Cross Holders of the SS/Polizei projects. A man's bio of 2-4 pgs with a photo can be given as its a component of the series. However, unlike senior ranks or KC holders, many are unknown outside their unit and were not a target of PK photographers, press, magazines, etc with resulting photo research difficulity.

Any forum readers have other known Waffen-SS bios ? Include language of the book if known. I'd love to read a full length book just on Hausser, Keppler, Krüger and numerous others.

Best
Mark
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Of course, Patrick Agte has his German language biographies of Wittmann and Peiper, which were translated into English by Fedorowicz. And Agte's German-only "Europas Freiwillige der Waffen-SS" is similar in format to Mark's Waffen-SS commanders set, only covering the non-German high award winners (Knight's Cross, German Cross, Honor Roll, and Close Combat Clasp in Gold).
I was able to borrow from a friend a copy of one of the last published volumes of the series "Latviesu karavirs otra pasaules kara laika" which was put out by the Latvian veterans' association in Canada. This one was roughly vol. 11, and was assembled by Honor Roll Clasp holder Janis-Alfreds Berzins. It included biographies and photos of all of the Latvian high award winners, and was likely one of Agte's main sources for the Latvians in his Europas Freiwillige book. I now only have a photocopy of the most important sections of this book, and it doesn't include the title pages. My friend obtained it on e-bay, so there may be others floating around.
I have a couple of French books about Degrelle that I can hardly read, "Leon Degrelle : Persiste et Signe" (Paris, Editions Jean Picollec, 1985, transcribed interviews for French TV conducted by Jean-Michel Charlier), and "Degrelle m'a dit..." (Paris, Les Grands Documents de L'Histoire, 1961, translated from Spanish, an admiring study of his career by Louise Narvaez, Dutchess of Valencia). And in a different sense, there is the big photo book "Leon Degrelle et La Legion Wallonie" which includes much information in its captions. I didn't include publishing details on the other books as they are not so obscure, but if anyone needs more details, please ask.
pimberg
Supporter

Post by pimberg »

...and then there is:
- Panzermeyers: "Grenadiere"
- Albert Frey's book "Ich Wollte die Freiheit"
- Jens Westemeier's excellent book: "Joachim Peiper". I believe an updated edition will be published by Biblio Verlag very soon if not already.
- The two recent Felix Steiner books are disappointing.

I'm personally hoping for a good book to come out on Gottlob Berger. I do know a Swiss researching has done a lot of digging on Berger. But unfortunately I've lost contact with this person!
Al Carter

Post by Al Carter »

Thanks for the helps guys!

Al Carter
Björn
Supporter

and..

Post by Björn »

Hello!
Might I add "Frontkjempere", by Per Johansen. He was infantry officer in Wiking, before joining the staff of III Germ PzKorps.
Only in Norwegian yet, to my knowledge.

B.
Al Carter

Post by Al Carter »

Might I add "Frontkjempere", by Per Johansen. He was infantry officer in Wiking, before joining the staff of III Germ PzKorps.
Only in Norwegian yet, to my knowledge.
I would love to see that in English. I read anything I can find on Wiking.

Al Carter