Das Reich Casualties - Ardennes

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Alex'44

Das Reich Casualties - Ardennes

Post by Alex'44 »

Hello everybody! I have looked everywhere for the document(s) containing the exact casualty figures for DR in the Ardennes provided by Kamen Nevenkin here on this forum (in an old thread back in 2002 titled "Waffen-SS losses lower than Heer losses in combat units"). I assume that he is using the same data as Michael Reynolds in "Sons of the Reich" regarding these divisional losses but neither of them have provided a reference to where the stats were found exactly. I looked into NARA but don't believe the doc is there. If somebody could please help me out I would be greatly appr
eciative as I am searching non-stop without success. I will hopefully be referencing this document within a long-time project of mine on German combat efficiency during the Second World War. Thank you for your help in advance!
RandJS

Re: Das Reich Casualties - Ardennes

Post by RandJS »

Hi,

According to Trevor Dupuy's "Hitler's Last Gamble", DR lost 635 KIA; 1,936 WIA and 866 MIA for the period 21 Dec 44 to 16 Jan 45. These figures come from the divisions daily personnel records.

Regards,
Rand