Chaplains

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Helmut
Patron

Chaplains

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
I know that for the most part the Divisions of W-SS didn't have Chaplains. Exceptions being Handschar and, I believe Frundsberg.
I read somewhere that Heinz Harmel managed to get chaplains for his division. Is this true? If so, what branch of service were they assigned? I can't believe they would be W-SS considering Himmler's views on religion. But whould the Heer just "give" chapains to the W-SS?

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,

Helmut
Simon H
Associate

Re: Chaplains

Post by Simon H »

Hi Helmut,
Some Non German SS units did make allowances for Chaplains, Belgians for example. But certainly you are correct that the Waffen SS did not provide religious services during the war. That been said a great many Waffen SS prisoners did find religion after the war as part of their spiritual rehabilitation.

Regards,
Simon.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

An uncle, a member of the W-SS never missed mass if he could help it either before, during or after the war, including his stint as a POW in Harwich.
Q.: Is there a possibility of obtaining POW records from the UK? Which archival office is the one to approach?

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Hello Hans,

Very interesting to hear about your Uncle. The UK National Archives don't have much on German POW's, certainly there are no comprehensive lists of POWs held in the UK during WW2. You would be better off contacting the Deutsches Dienstelle in Berlin or the International Red Cross regarding him.

Best Wishes,
Simon.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Hans,
Do you know what unit he was in?

Regards,

Helmut
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Thank you Simon. I do have his records from the Dienstelle & Red Cross. Just thought it would be a nice thing to have his actual POW record as well.

Hi Helmut,
Uncle was in "Nordland". Not for very long mind you, he was still in the Ausbildung & Ersatz stage when captured on 4 May 1945. Released 31.12.1947. Long time behind the wire for such a short period in uniform.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Die Blechtrommel
Supporter

Post by Die Blechtrommel »

The Finnish battalion, III.(finn.)/SS-Rgt. "Nordland" had a Finnish chaplain that was killed in action. He had a "cover duty" as liaison officer. There were no restrictions of his relegius ceremonies, however.

With best,
J-P
“Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch !!“