Unit info assistance?

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
steg1

Unit info assistance?

Post by steg1 »

Greetings,

I'm doing some research on an individual who fought in the war, and have some confusion about what unit he served in. His Entnazifizierungsakte says that he was in "14/Gren Regt I" from 1944-45. Is it possible that this "Gren Regt I" referring to the I SS PZ KO, or something else? I'm assuming the "14" refers to company. He did have a blood group tattoo and was "rumored" to have been in the Leibstandarte.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any assistance!
JES
Simon H
Associate

Re: Unit info assistance?

Post by Simon H »

Hello Jes,
14/Gren Rgt 1 would indeed refer to the 14th Kompanie of Grenadier Regiment 1, although it might be difficult to prove that this means in fact SS Pz Grenadier Rgt 1, which is what the unit would have been in 1944/45. You would need to look into his information in more detail to be able to be sure.

Best Wishes,
Simon.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Why could this mysterious individual not have been in 14./Grenadier 1 of 1 Infanterie Division ? Why do you think that he was in the SS , especially since the SS didn't have a Gren Regt 1 in 1944.
Alan
steg1

Post by steg1 »

Apparently he told his son that he was in the Leibstandarte (he definitely had the tattoo), but his Entnazifizierungsakte only lists a regular infantry/grenadier regiment (which I have substantiated he was in, until it was destroyed in Jun 44) and this mysterious unit name. Of course he could have been coloring the truth (to his son and/or to the Akte) - at another section of the Akte he said he was drafted, which was patently untrue. Alas, I have not yet heard back from the WAST or the Red Cross. I have also not been able to find his name in any of the Leibstandarte records I've perused and talked to folks about (nor that of the commander he apparently drove for). Another issue is that he told his son he was not in France later in the war, which would be kind of required if he joined the LAH between JUL and NOV. I'm wondering if he was perhaps one of the replacements shoved into the Waffen-SS units during the last few months of the war for which the records were destroyed. Of course, PROVING that could be hard.
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

steg1 wrote:Apparently he told his son that he was in the Leibstandarte (he definitely had the tattoo), but his Entnazifizierungsakte only lists a regular infantry/grenadier regiment (which I have substantiated he was in, until it was destroyed in Jun 44) and this mysterious unit name. Of course he could have been coloring the truth (to his son and/or to the Akte) - at another section of the Akte he said he was drafted, which was patently untrue. Alas, I have not yet heard back from the WAST or the Red Cross. I have also not been able to find his name in any of the Leibstandarte records I've perused and talked to folks about (nor that of the commander he apparently drove for). Another issue is that he told his son he was not in France later in the war, which would be kind of required if he joined the LAH between JUL and NOV. I'm wondering if he was perhaps one of the replacements shoved into the Waffen-SS units during the last few months of the war for which the records were destroyed. Of course, PROVING that could be hard.
It looks as though you have a lot of research to carry out. I am not sure how common it was for Heer units to be drafted into the Waffen SS - even towards the end the SS had an efficient replacement and training branch.

Good luck!
Simon Harrold

Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

As far as I know the only Heer personnel transfered to the W-SS were officers who had been HJ Leaders and were used in 12 SS PD HJ. Hopwever a lot of naval and airforce personnel were transfered to the W-SS in 1944 and 1945.
Alan
steg1

Post by steg1 »

Hmmm. Maybe I should spend some time on 1st ID. Honestly, I think I've about exhausted the W-SS angle, especially with that tidbit about the '45 replacements being navy/airforce. Perhaps I'll find something with the regular army. Do you think there would be any likelihood of him being transferred to work at one of the death camps or other prison camps? He was apparently quite the SS zealot.

The other oddity in his paperwork is that he says he drove for a regimental commander (rank of Oberst) through 44, and then he drive for the same guy after that but he was a Hauptmann. Did officers get demoted often?

Thanks for your thoughts!
steg1

Post by steg1 »

Well, I finally got the WAST paperwork, and nowhere in it does it suggest my guy was in the Waffen-SS. (I have no idea where the "I" in his second unit came from- he was in a regiment in the 95th after Bagration.) So I guess I need to close this thread and/or move it to the Heer section. Thanks to all who gave me thoughts and facts about these units. I appreciate it!
Joanne
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

steg1 wrote:Well, I finally got the WAST paperwork, and nowhere in it does it suggest my guy was in the Waffen-SS. (I have no idea where the "I" in his second unit came from- he was in a regiment in the 95th after Bagration.) So I guess I need to close this thread and/or move it to the Heer section. Thanks to all who gave me thoughts and facts about these units. I appreciate it!
Joanne
He certainly seems to have had a "colourful" service history. Good to get the WaSt info.

Regarding the officer he drove for being demoted, not a total unknown for this to occur although it would be a long trail to find out why.

Good luck in the research. I think it goes on further yet.

Regards,
Simon.
Simon Harrold