Interesting document

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Charles Trang
Supporter

Interesting document

Post by Charles Trang »

Here is an interesting document signed by Heinrich Himmler in which he names Walter Krüger as commander of SS-Kampfgruppe "Nord" (mit Wirkung vom 14 August 1941). Of course, we all know that Walter Krüger never took his command as he was named commander of SS-Polizei-Division on 8th August 1941. Any comments ?
0204.jpg
0204.jpg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Re: Interesting document

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

The SS-FHA thought highly of Krüger, and wanted him get some experience as a divisional commander. They therefore assigned him to take over the Nord battlegroup, which needed new leadership. However, then Arthur Mülverstedt was killed in action, and the SS-Polizei Division needed a commander. It was fighting in the drive on Leningrad, which was higher-priority than Nord in Findland, so Krüger was sent to the SS-Polizei Division, a unit he was very familiar with from his stint as divisional Ia a year and a half earlier.

That's my take on the document, you likely reached a similar conclusion yourself. Yerger doesn't mention this in his new German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police volume 5, and I had never heard it mentioned before. So you have found a new piece of information! That's exciting, congratulations!
Charles Trang
Supporter

Post by Charles Trang »

I did not have to get to the same conclusion as there are more documents concerning this commander's transfer and one of them depicts the reasons why Krüger was to lead SS-Polizei-Division instead of SS-Kampfgruppe "Nord". Marc, you are right, as usual !
Ricardo Silva
Supporter

Post by Ricardo Silva »

That's what i like about this site, history being written as we speak