Polizeikompanie Rowno, Narwa Bataillon, Polizeibataillon 33

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Suchender

Polizeikompanie Rowno, Narwa Bataillon, Polizeibataillon 33

Post by Suchender »

Hello,
I am interested in the "Reserve-Polizeibataillon 33 = Polizeibataillon Ostland". One of my ancestors was in this unit. He was a "Baltendeutscher", born in Tallinn/Estonia. In summer 1941, he was in Frankfurt/Oder and was integrated in the "Polizeireserve". He came to the "Reserve-Polizei-Bataillon 33, 1. Kompanie", which was called "Polizeibataillon Ostland" until autumn 1941.
In the book "Nicht ermittelt..." by Stefan Klemp (2005) it is written, that the "1. Kompanie" Ostland reached Rowno (Ukraine) in october 1941, were it became part of the "Polizeibataillon 320" until february 1942. The "1. Kompanie" stayed in Rowno until autumn 1943. Then it was distributed to other units. One was called "Polizeikompanie Rowno", another perhaps "Narwa Bataillon" (not sure). The way of my ancestor is not clear yet, but at the end of the war he was member of the "Skorpion West" (Kurt Eggert). I try to clear this way from "Polizeikompanie Rowno" to "Skorpion West".
My question: Who knows something about the "Polizeibataillon Ostland/33", the "Polizeibataillon 320", the "Narwa Bataillon" (and perhaps "Estnische SS-Legion", "Estnische Nr. 1", "20. SS-Division 'Estland'"?) and especially about the "Polizeikompanie Rowno"?
Thank you,
Martin
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Re: Polizeikompanie Rowno, Narwa Bataillon, Polizeibataillon 33

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Hi Martin,

The Narwa Bataillon was the first battalion of the Estonian SS Legion. It was formed by men from various Police Battalions, whose term of service was coming to an end. Because it was the first battalion, and would be a showcase for the Estonian contribution to the Waffen-SS, it was given the men who spoke German the best. This eased its integration into the Wiking Division, where Narwa replaced the Finnish Volunteer Battalion.

As a Baltic German, your ancestor was probably considered a valuable translator, since he presumably spoke German and Estonian. It makes sense that he would end up in Narwa. Do some web-searching, and you'll probably find plenty of information on this unit, which later served as Waffen-Fusilier Battalion 20 in the 20. Waffen-Grenadier Division.
Suchender

Post by Suchender »

Hi Marc,
thanks for your informations! They are very specific. What are your sources?
Regards,
Martin
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

There's extensive veterans' histories of the Narwa Bataillon. They were published in Estonian in three books, which is a lot of detail for one battalion! I have the books, but can't truly read them, so friends in Estonia paraphrased parts of the history for me. Then, there's the English language Estonian Freedom Fighters in World War 2 book, about all the various German and Finnish raised Estonian units, and there's the English language photo booklet Estonian Vikings, about the Narwa Bataillon.
Suchender

Post by Suchender »

Hi Marc,
it's the same with me, I can neither speak nor read the estonian language, but I have far relatives in Estonia...
What are the titles and authors of the books you wrote about? Please tell me, it seems that they are very important for my research.
Thanks, Martin
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Estonian Freedom Fighters in World War 2 is edited by August Jurs.

Estonian Vikings is by Richard Landwehr.

My copies of the first two volumes of the Narwa Bataillon's Estonian-language history are in boxes somewhere, but I have the third book at hand, its title is Visadus Voitis. It doesn't have a single author credited.

Look at http://www.phototour.ee/?languageSwitch=eng to see the site of an Estonian publisher. They release some books in English, and have two very nice, large-format dual-language photo books available on the Estonian Legion and on all Estonians participating in the war.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

There is a new book out now in sweden on this topic, too....by our dear Petter Kjellander :?:

link

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
Suchender

Post by Suchender »

Hi Marc and Jan-Hendrik,
thank you for your recommendations!
I will try to get the books and photos..., perhaps I will find my ancestor on one of it.
Martin
Mansal D

Post by Mansal D »

Hello,

As Marc already mentioned there is a great English language book "Estonian Freedomfighters in the Second World War" by August Jurs. It seems to be quite expensive ($100), but it is quite useful. Obviously from the perspective of proud Estonian volunteers who had Communist rule over them after the war was over, but nonetheless interesting.

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/qwo ... 0War%20Two

Hope you find more about your relatives!