Retreat of Das Reich Units at the Enns in 1945

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
fridgeman
Supporter

Retreat of Das Reich Units at the Enns in 1945

Post by fridgeman »

I heard this account from a radio operator of the 2nd SS Das Reich, Regiment Deutschland. I want to share it with you
and also i search for additional informations.

During small battles/retreat of german forces around the village Enns at the river Enns,
this signal soldier together with a Kp.Chef, his Stellv. and 5 other soldiers were driving in an US Jeep to a bridge in Enns,
expecting it is still free to pass. But as the jeep passed the bridge, the soldiers saw themselves surrounded by americans.
The 7 german soldiers were brought to a trafo station in Enns, to be shot because they were caught in an US jeep.
When a higher ranked US soldier appeared a discussion started, and after that the german soldiers were brought to captivity.

Maybe someone has a source of information about the retreat at the Enns in 1945, heard or know of a similar account
or can clear something else about this up for me. For example was it common to use an enemies jeep, as it could be considered as a war crime/usage of enemy symbols.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Re: Retreat of Das Reich Units at the Enns in 1945

Post by John P. Moore »

There are a number of reports about members of the 6.SS-Gebirgs Division "Nord" driving captured US Army jeeps, ambulances and other vehicles in Germany during March-April 1945. These reports appear in the recent book, IN FINAL DEFENSE OF THE REICH: The Destruction of the 6th SS Mountain Division “Nord” by Stephen M. Rusiecki. No adverse actions are reported in the book as being taken against captured German soldiers found with such vehicles by US troops.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

In the battle for Wingen-sur-Moder, Nord men were also using a couple of captured Shermans for a while. Using captured enemy equipment wasn't supposed to bring a death sentence, just wearing their uniforms.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
AHK
Contributor

Post by AHK »

I disagree about Nord prisioners being shot by US troops in March/April, 1945; the books poses the question several times!
AHK
fridgeman
Supporter

Post by fridgeman »

@ Tom Houlihan

Isn't it like the same, if you use an enemies vehicle or his uniforms? I would think as long as the vehicle
has some Army symbols, like the white star or US flags, it could be forbidden to use it.
I tried to find something about this in the geneva convention and other rules of engagement, but could not find much about cars and vehicles.

@AHK

Where did anyone wrote Nord prisoners were shot? And which books poses which questions?
Next time please dont answer in riddles, and try to refer to the questions.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

fridgeman, I would think that putting proper markings on those vehicles would be required. However, in reference to Wingen, they only had those vehicles a matter of hours or days, so they really didn't have time.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!