Polizei-Bataillon Ostland/ 2 questions

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
petma

Polizei-Bataillon Ostland/ 2 questions

Post by petma »

My Father, born in Reval/Estonia arrived in Berlin/Stahnsdorf on July 25, 1941 where he was enrolled to be trained for the Polizei-Bataillon Ostland. Four days later he was sent to Frankfurt/Oder for some months’ training together with other Estonians and Latvians. Beginning of October 1941 he ended up as a Rottwachtmeister. On October 10, 1941 the newly trained police-soldiers were sent by train to Ukraine to “fight against the partisans”. The Estonians and Latvians were of course very disappointed, since they had been promised to be sent to their home countries. Three persons – by purpose - missed the train with the destination to Rowno and Zhitomir – and my father was one of them. Two weeks later my father was in Berlin where he was offered a job at the Revisions- und Treuhandsgesellschaft from January 1, 1942.
I now wonder if you know if there are any archives where I possibly can find
1.) notes on and/or pictures of my father during the time of his training in Frankfurt/Oder and
2.) notes on the a consequences of his not showing up to the train transportation to Ukraine, i.e. if he was punished or repressed in some way.
Best regards
Petma
Suchender

Re: Polizei-Bataillon Ostland/ 2 questions

Post by Suchender »

Hello Petma,
I think your father had a lot of fortune that he wasn't send to Ukraine...
I have found some photos of the "Ostland"-Batl./I.Res.Pol.Batl.33:

http://www.hot.ee/fone/ostland.htm
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 8&t=147252

And I attach two photos from "Ostland", probably in Frankfurt/Oder:
männer pol-batl klein.jpg
männer pol-batl klein.jpg (217.38 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
polizei batl klein.jpg
polizei batl klein.jpg (162.02 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
Perhaps you will find your father on one of it. A relative of mine is on the photos which I attached, perhaps they were comrades.
My relative was born in Tallinn/Reval, too! Do you have more informations or narratives about your father, or perhaps from your father himself?

Kind regards,
Martin