SS Waffen soldier

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
c.d.Schmidt

SS Waffen soldier

Post by c.d.Schmidt »

I'm the granddaughter of a SGT then Hauptman of the SS Waffen. I've been trying to do research for years but have been looking for info from the wrong name and I was looking in the Heer. I've recently been in reintouch with a Oncle that gave me some more info. My Opa's name was Johann Karl Schmidt but for reasons I have not found out he fought under the name Hans Schmidt. He was from Worms, Germany. Later coming to Vancouver, Canada.

He volunteered with SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Das Reich" or an earlier version. He was with them from the start. He served on 5 fronts. He served on the Russian front for 3yrs and was one of only 3 that survived his battalion(maybe 3rd?).At one point he received blown out lungs from blasts was sent back to basically die. Fought to overcome that and went back to fight. Spent 7 yrs as POW in France and received a German Cross in Gold at one point.

Am trying to find any info , good or bad. My Oncle and I are doing some research to go with memos found recently for future generation.

Thank-you
Cathy Schmidt
Vancouver Island
Canada
c.d.Schmidt

Re: SS Waffen soldier

Post by c.d.Schmidt »

Additional info "Deutschland"
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I can identify over a dozen Waffen-SS officers with the name of Hans Schmidt plus a few more named Johann or Johannes. The date of birth is needed before anyone can help you with any certainty. However, a Johann Schmidt, born
16.7.1917 in Worms received the DKiG in September 1943 as an SS-Hauptscharführer in 3./Rgt."Deutschland". This same man appears to have been promoted to SS-Untersturmführer in November 1944.
c.d.Schmidt

Post by c.d.Schmidt »

I talked to a Uncle. Haven't got a birthdate yet but have more info. My Opa earned German Cross in Gold for the capture of the tank trap during the recapture of Kharkov in 1943. He was Hauptscharfurer at this time. He completed his time with this rank till Prag, Chechoslawakia May 1945. His wife and son were with him and they escaped from near the airdrome in Rusin where the barracks were, in a military convoy for about 30 km when they were shot up by a fighter aircraft and then they walked to Worms. My Opa moved a few kms east to the Russian Front outside Prag with what was left of the Regiment he was working on rebuilding.

When hostilities were halted he and his comrad Klaus or Kurt Ei headed west toward Germany, walking the roads and ways my Oma and Oncle travelled 2 wks ahead. He arrive in Worms wearing his uniform and his sidearms
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

I have the following in volume 5 (addendum) of "German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police"

Page 173, Hans Schmidt: born in Worms on July 16, 1917, he served in the Hitler Youth from July 1933 to July 1934, and then two periods in the RAD from July 1934 to March 1935 and from October 1935 to March 1937. He joined the SS (SS# 342 344) and the SS/VT on November 1, 1937. Schmidt was assigned to the 4./Deutschland, where he served until mid-June 1942. Promoted to Unterscharführer on April 20, 1940, and to Oberscharführer on November 1, 1941, he took part in the Poland, Western, Balkans and first Russian Campaigns, where he was wounded twice (July 26 and November 22, 1941). Awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class in France, and the Iron Cross 1st Class in Russia on March 31, 1942, he served as a machine gun Gruppenführer from October 15, 1940, and later as a temporary Zugführer. In mid-June 1942 Schmidt was reassigned to the 3.Kompanie, where he later won the German Cross in Gold as a Zugführer. Promoted to Hauptscharführer on April 1, 1943, he was commissioned for bravery in the field, without attending an officer course, to Untersturmführer d. R. on November 9, 1944, while still assigned to the Division.
Quelimane

Post by Quelimane »

Are you sure about the "seven" years in French captivity?

I may be wrong, but I thought that all German POWs in the West, including the Waffen-SS, were released by 1948, unless convicted of a specific crime.

Q
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Quelimane wrote:Are you sure about the "seven" years in French captivity?

I may be wrong, but I thought that all German POWs in the West, including the Waffen-SS, were released by 1948, unless convicted of a specific crime.

Q
Many were held after 1948 in the West. Among others was Otto Weidinger was never charged or tried but was held by the French until June 1951.

Mark
Quelimane

Post by Quelimane »

Were Weidinger and the many others you mention held for any particular reason? For example, were they suspects for war crimes, or known unresconstructed Nazis?

Q
c.d.Schmidt

Post by c.d.Schmidt »

Thank you very much for all the great info. If I hear any more info or receive pics which familly members agree to show, I'll get in touch.

thanks
Cathy Schmidt
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Cathy Schmidt - What was the exact date and place of your grandfather's death?