Waffen SS units in Warsaw Uprising 1943

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Zugfuehrer

Waffen SS units in Warsaw Uprising 1943

Post by Zugfuehrer »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knowes what Waffen SS units were involved in the Warsaw uprising of april 1943.
We can read all about Jurgen Stroop and the war crimes on the internet, but I would like to know what exact W-SS units were in action during this uprising.

If this has already been answered on this forum, than I guess I was unable to find the topic on this.
Maybe someone can point it out to me.

Your help is much appreciated.

Greetz,

Ben
"I have two books at my bedside, the Marine Corps Code of Conduct and the King James Bible. The only proper authorities I am aware of are my commanding officer and the Lord our God."
Simon H
Associate

Re: Waffen SS units in Warsaw Uprising 1943

Post by Simon H »

Hello Ben,

As a result of the uprising in Warsaw Himmler had created a special Korpsgruppe under the command of SS Obergruppenführer Erich van dem Bach Zelewski. This Korpsgruppe was split into 3 Angriffsgruppe;

Angriffsgruppe Süd; SS Sturm Brigade RONA, Russian and Baltic volunteers under the command of Bronislaw Kaminski.

Angriffsgruppe Mitte: SS Sturm Brigade "Dirlewanger" under the now infamous Oskar Dirlewanger. This unit was made up of criminals and violent social misfits.

Angriffsgruppe Nord: Under Max Reck? (sp) consisted of a motorised Gendarmerie unit.

The uprising was also quelled by elements of 5th SS Wiking Division (as they passed through the region on their way from the front line) and FJ Panzer Div Hermann Göring.

Hope this is a help...
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Phil Nix

Post by Phil Nix »

Simon H wrote:Hello Ben,

As a result of the uprising in Warsaw Himmler had created a special Korpsgruppe under the command of SS Obergruppenführer Erich van dem Bach Zelewski. This Korpsgruppe was split into 3 Angriffsgruppe;

Angriffsgruppe Süd; SS Sturm Brigade RONA, Russian and Baltic volunteers under the command of Bronislaw Kaminski.

Angriffsgruppe Mitte: SS Sturm Brigade "Dirlewanger" under the now infamous Oskar Dirlewanger. This unit was made up of criminals and violent social misfits.

Angriffsgruppe Nord: Under Max Reck? (sp) consisted of a motorised Gendarmerie unit.

The uprising was also quelled by elements of 5th SS Wiking Division (as they passed through the region on their way from the front line) and FJ Panzer Div Hermann Göring.

Hope this is a help...
One small point It was Erich von dem Bach was born Erich von Zelewski he changed his name to Bach Zelewski after WW1 and he dropped the Zelewski part of his name 28.11.1940 ,his chage was accepted by Regierungsbezirk Breslau effective that date
Phil Nix
AAA
Contributor

Post by AAA »

Hmm, Simon, are you not confusing the 1943 Warsaw Ghetto uprising and the 1944 Warsaw uprising? Two rather different events with mostly different actors. :down:
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

AAA wrote:Hmm, Simon, are you not confusing the 1943 Warsaw Ghetto uprising and the 1944 Warsaw uprising? Two rather different events with mostly different actors.
You're correct AAA, sorry for the duff gen Ben. Ignore my previous post - I'm going for a long lie down...
Simon Harrold

hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

From The Stroop Report there are casualties listed from the following SS units..

4.SS-Pz.Gren.Ers.Abt
SS-Kav.Ers.Abt
Ausb.L.Trawniki
I & III/SS-Pol Rgt 22
1, 2, 3 & 4.SS-Pz.Gren.Ers.Btl
III/SS-Pol Rgt 23

The OOB listed in the report for the SS is as follows...

SS-Pz.Gren.Ausb.u.Ers.Btl. 3 Warschau
SS-Kav.Ausb.u.Ers.Abt Warschau
SS Polizei Rgt 22 I & III Btl
...although not listed in the OOB in the report, III/SS Polizei Rgt 23 was also used towards the end of the Uprising, and is mentioned briefly in the daily reports (I also have a Polizei Dienstpass in my collection to a member of this unit and the 'Ghetto Aktion' is annotated within it's pages).
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Simon Harrold

hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

The Polizei Dienstpass entries...
Attachments
scan0022.jpg
scan0022.jpg (237.1 KiB) Viewed 11402 times
scan0021.jpg
scan0021.jpg (195.75 KiB) Viewed 11393 times
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Very interesting item you have there hucks. Thanks for sharing.
Simon Harrold

Zugfuehrer

Post by Zugfuehrer »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the most interesting info and help. There are three SS-Sturmbannfuhrers I am investigating who appently were involved in the Ghetto Uprising in 1943. These men are Ernst Radeke, Bernard Bartelt and Willi Schweitzer. Radeke was KIA later in the war and Schweitzer survived but did some years in the Landsberg prison for his part in the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. About Bartelt I don´t know to much yet. I am sure though that they all served in a SS-Gebrirgsregiment and in several Ausb.u Ersatz Batallione.

If any one can put these names together with SS/units that were deployed in the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of 1943, than any info is welcome.

Thanks again,

Greetz, Ben
"I have two books at my bedside, the Marine Corps Code of Conduct and the King James Bible. The only proper authorities I am aware of are my commanding officer and the Lord our God."
Regiment Norge
Supporter

Post by Regiment Norge »

Hei!

In the files of Deutsches Rotes Kreuz in Munich (Abt. Suchdienst) there is some documents pertaining to Bernhard BARTELT, and as I can recall (writing off-hand) he was declared MIA in 1945.

Willi SCHWEIZER is also found in the files of DRK in Munich. He got his KC in mid April 1945 leading the SS-Kampfgruppe SCHWEITZER in the Rechnitz-Sachendorf area. This battlegroup was surrounded by russians and led terrible losses. They broke out on April 4th, 1945, here Oscha. and KC winner Albert HEKTOR was KIA in the outbreak. SCHWEIZER was charged of war-crimes and spent time in the Landsberg prison to the mid 1950s, before released.

Regards
Regiment Norge
PATRICK CHARRON

Post by PATRICK CHARRON »

Hello,

About Bartelt from the Führersliste of John Moore.
Bartelt, Bernhard Stubaf 4. 3.01Strausberg 27 759 Kdr.Feld-Ers.Btl.32 3.45 † 4.45
Stubaf. Rgt.”Schill” 10.44
Stubaf. SS-Ausb.Btl.Prag 4.43
He is given as Kr Ausbildung Batallion z.b.V in Heidelager on september 1943 in Melnik "To battle" about 14th Galician Waffen SS Division.

Regards
Patrick
Zugfuehrer

Post by Zugfuehrer »

Hello Gents,

Thanks so far for all the additional info!

Kind regards,

Ben
Phil Nix

Post by Phil Nix »

Basic date from DALS Rädeke Ernst (note umlaut) born 3.7.1911 Party Nr 3536635 SS Nr 294915 Usf 20.4.36 Osf 12.9.37 Hsf 30.1.39 Sbf 9.11.42 Graduated from JS Tölz 1935 Beim Stab RFSS 1938
Nothing on Schweitzer
Bartelt born 4.3.1901 Party Nr 711242 SS Nr 27759 Usf 9.11.33 Osf 9.11.34 Hsf 9.11.35 Sbf 20.4.43 Beim SD 1938 Kdr SS Pz Gren Ersatz Battalion 11 1944
Phil Nix
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

According to the Stroop report itself;

Units used in the action. Average number of personnel used per day.

SS Staff & Police Leader 6/5

Waffen SS:
SS Panzer Grenadier Training and Reserve Battalion 3, Warsaw 4/440
SS Cav. Training and Res Bat. Warsaw 5/381

Police:
SS Police Regiment 22 I. Bat. 3/94
III. Bat. 3/134
Engineering Emergency Service 1/6
Polish Police 4/363
Polish Fire Brigade 166

Security Police:
Wehrmacht