Origin of SS Uniforms?

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Mike

Origin of SS Uniforms?

Post by Mike »

Don't know if this is the right place for this question:
I live in the Boston, MA area and work with the renownedly (sic?) unfriendly Massachusetts State Troopers. In October they changed over to their winter uniforms, which consist of knee-high black jackboots, Patton or Rommel-style balloon trousers, and crusher officer caps. From more than one officer I've been told there was some Nazi minion who studied at some school in the area, liked the uniform, and brought the idea back with him to Germany. If the uniforms were feldgrau or black they'd give the SS a run for their money in a look-alike contest.
Is this story true?
MA State Troopers, by the way, are the greatest law enforcement officers to have on your side. However, maybe subconsciously I always act very respectfully when around them. Maybe the idea of a large riding boot being placed forcibly into my fourth point of contact is a good prevention tool.
Thanks, Mike
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Mike, having grown up in MA, with a Trooper that lived down the street from me, I know exactly the look you're talking about!

I would submit, though, that were you to look at historical photographs of police agencies, either state, or bigger municipalities, you would see that 'look' in American law enforcement prior to the SS uniforms coming on the scene.

They are pretty intimidating, though, aren't they!?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Mike

Thanks for reply!

Post by Mike »

Wow, I had totally forgotten about this post. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, you're very right about the look. I just had one move onto my street. Having the cruiser parked out on the street is sure to scare some of my rougher neighbors into at least acting like good citizens.

I don't think the look came from just us, as you said. If I ever find anything more solid I'll post it here.

Again, thanks for the reply!--Mike

:beer:
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

The overall outline was clearly in keeping with the Heer style - I'm talking about the classic, black Allgemeine-SS uniform - for the officer corps, the black recalling the hussars, "black knights" and landesknecht of the late middle ages, although the low-collar tunic, shirt and tie was a very modern touch.

The adoption - or appropriation - of the hussar deathshead was part of this too, although the insignia was of course redesigned in the mid-1930s. The whole black thing came from the dark leather worn by warriors from the Celts and Vikings on. The fact that the Other Ranks wore the same uniform as officers, insignia and quality of cloth aside, reflected the new "egalitarianism" of the NS movement, a break with the "Junker" past.

PK
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

The American trooper uniform can trace its heritage more from the late model US Cavalry of the Pancho Villa era.

The trousers, boots and DI style hats were worn by our soldiers at the turn of the century.

There are some excellent photos of these uniforms extent from the time of a the last big reunion of civ war vets at Gettysburg where pres. Roosevelt was the speaker.

Also - and perhaps more fun, you can see these uniforms in the opening of Peckinpah's Wild Bunch.

cheers
Reb
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

The spread of uniform features conforms with other fashion trends and involves continual cross polination from multiple sources. I would suggest that it might have almost a communicable disease-type pathology.

As Paddy pointed out, the SA uniforms were self consciously mostly in an existing military German tradition inherited via the Freikorps. But there were also features from other traditions, such as the Sam Brown belt, which I guess arrived via Italian Fascism?

Cheers,

Sid.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Sam Browne belts are a bit of a phallic symbol - in the sense that they're intended to support the weight of a heavy something that you don't otherwise have to see! In the case of the Sam browne, a heavy sidearm or revolver. The adoption of the Sam Browne by the SA and SS was apparently an intimidation thing, a hint that in the future - OR in the now of a late '20s early '30s streetfight - the SA and SS would be armed organisations, no more chair legs or billies! Good psychology.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phil brown

Post by phil brown »

i dont know about the origin of ss uniforms but i do know that the renown late designer Hugo Boss designed and supplied the early ones. little known fact. maybe thats why i get funny looks wearing my suit :wink:
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

I believe Hugo Boss was nothing more then a tailor during the time period. I don't believe he designed any uniforms during the war.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

I need photos guys!!! :shock:

:D
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Ask and ye shall receive. Do they still wear this? I did an image search and all the recent ones they are wearing Smokey Bears like most State Troopers I see now. I know they wore them up till the 90's.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Dirlewanger
Contributor

Post by Dirlewanger »

Those State Troopers are a Fascist looking crew indeed , in fact the one on the far left bears an uncanny resemblance to the Reichsfuhrer :shock:
Ost Ost Oskar
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

Rajin Cajun wrote: Ask and ye shall receive....
Thank you Rajin!

They really look...ummmm...interesting....*cough*....hmmmm..... 8)
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

My Uncle has an uncanny resemblance to Heinrich Himmler as well its even more creepy because he does a pretty good Hitler impersonation. :D
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Woo! Its the cast from "The Great Dictator"!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds