Some questions about Das Reich.

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Max 2004

Some questions about Das Reich.

Post by Max 2004 »

Hello:

I posted this topic some days ago in the unit history section with no results :( , so I decided maybe it is more correct to put it on the WSS section.

Im looking for the feldpost number from the 1st. Komp. Deutschland Regiment in Late 1942 and middle 1943.

I need to know also the designation of the training unit for the Deutschland Regiment in late 1942 and middle 1943. I read in another post the following designation:

SS-Ers.-u.Ausb.-Btl.Deutschland

In case this designation is correct, the erkennungsmarke stamp for a recruit in the first Kompanie can be?

1./SS-Ers.-u.Ausb.-Btl.Deutschland. :roll:

In 1943 the Deutschland Cufftitle was still used in the regiment? Or was the new Das Reich Cufftitle replacing the old ones? I read somewere the DR cufftitle was used by division personnel not belonging to the"D" or "DF" Regiments.

Best regards. :D

Juan.
Max 2004

Post by Max 2004 »

I noticed that during December 3, 1940 - January 27, 1941 the name for the divission was “Deutschland” so I assume the designation SS-Ers.-u.Ausb.-Btl.Deutschland is for the Division’s Ersatz Battalion at that time.

I found that the designation for the LSSAH Ersatz Battalion is: SS-Pz. Gren. Ausb. u. Ers. Bat. 1, located at Berlin Lichterfeld. Due to the unit’s designation as Panzergrenadier, I suppose is a mid-late war name. So, I assume probably the designation for the Ersatz Battalion Das Reich was SS-Pz. Gren. Ausb. u. Ers. Bat. 2, but I want to be sure.

Please can someone help me in my search or give me someplace in the internet to search, I tryed in the Lexicon der Wehrmacht, but I dont read German so it is very difficult for me, also looked in the Das Reich page but no info. My WSS books are almost entirely about the LSSAH, I want to buy the three Otto Weidinger volumes translated to english about the DR Division to begin familiarize with the unit :[] (must wait until Christmas). :(

Did you know about some other good books to learn more about that unit?

Thanks.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Max2004!

Two highly recommended books about "Das Reich" is the two first volumes of Mark C. Yerger's excellent and thoroughly researched "German Cross in Gold - Holders of the SS and Police" (Bender publishing. Volume 1 2003 and Volume 2 2005).

These two books deals in depth and great detail about all the recipients of the DKiG (German Cross in Gold) of this premier SS Division. Lots of combat reports, award recommendation reports, many many photographs, many never published before.

Maybe not so much about your particular unit of interest but still a must for any student of the "Das Reich" Division!

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Hans Weber
Enthusiast

Post by Hans Weber »

Hello Max

The Inf Bns usually had the same F.P.Nr. in case of 1.-4. Kp. I. Bataillon SS-Infantrie Regiment "Deutschland" this would be 27 064. The change to SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt. "Deutschland" was on Dec. 4th 1942. The F.P.Nr. didn't change.

The Ersatz (replacement) unit of the Division was first named the Feld-Ersatz-Bataillon Deutschland, which changed into Ersatz-Bataillon Deutschland in Sept. 1941 and was in Prague. It was then renamed Panzergrenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon Deutschland at the start of 1943 and then Panzergrenadier-Ersatz- und Ausbildungseinheit 2 in May 1943.

As for the cuffbands, the former SS-Standarten and later infantry regiments "Deutschland", "Germania", "Der Führer" seem to have kept them. The divisional units wore the "Das Reich".

Cheers
Hans
Max 2004

Post by Max 2004 »

Thank you Hans and Herr Doktor:

I put the two books on my whish list, along with Decision In the Ukraine, Infantry Aces and some others more :wink:

Hans, did you have any Idea about the correct Erkennungsmarke of those units? or where can I look for. And I be grateful if you can point to me some other books to read to know more about this Ersatz unit (number of companies personnel etc.) and about the Das Reich division.

Best regards. :D
Hans Weber
Enthusiast

Post by Hans Weber »

Hello Max

There should be people here that can tell you about Erkennungsmarken, cuffbands, uniformes etc., I 'm not into this subject. The Bender/Taylor volumes are also helpfull if it comes to uniforms and cuffbands. You would go for volume 2 here.

The unit history by Weidinger would give you a good overview of Das Reich.

For information on F.P. Nrn, OOB, commanders etc try to get hold of a copy of Klietmann, "Die Waffen SS" (Osnabrück 1965), long out of print.

Tessin is probably not an option to you, but here you will find the information on the Ersatzunit I gave you.

Cheers
Hans
Max 2004

Post by Max 2004 »

Thanks for your helpful information Hans, I must read a lot more :[]