SS Ausbildungs Abt Konitz

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Simon H
Associate

SS Ausbildungs Abt Konitz

Post by Simon H »

This unit was operational in West Prussia at the end of the war. Does anyone have any further information?
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

There was SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs-und-Ersatz-Batallion 35 , for further infos of its fate in 1945 , especially its involvement in the 1st Pmmernschlacht see comrade Michi's execellent post here :

http://forum.panzer-archiv.de/viewtopic ... 816#109816

called :
DIE ERSATZTRUPPENTEILE DER 31.SS-FGD UND IHR WEG
:[]

Jan-Hendrik
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Thanks for the fast response Jan.

Is it possible that this unit was known as SS Ausbildungs Abt. Konitz prior to 1944? Information is from an ID tag.
Simon Harrold

Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

I always thought that the SS-Jagdverbände merely used SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Ausb.u.Ers.Btl. 35 as a 'cover'. It is interesting that the SS-Führungs-Hauptamt order of 1.12.1944 changes the nomenclature from SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs und Ersatz-Bataillon 35 to SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Ausb.u.Ers.Btl. 35 with effect from 15.11.1944. The latter designation was used as early as October 1944 in paybooks issued to members of SS-Fallschirmjäger-Btl 600 and the SS-Jagdverbände.

Most entries are handwritten but this paybook contains the stamp of the depot, which is interesting because the officer in question never went near Könitz, as far as I know. He accompanied the Training Company of SS-FJ-Btl 500 from Kraljevo to Papa and then to Iglau before the company was posted to Neustrelitz as 1./SS-Fallschirmjäger-Btl 600. He was transferred to 4 Coy and then to HQ Coy (Stab) as OC. The presence of this unit stamp in his paybook would appear to support the contention that it was merely a cover, an administrative device, rather than an actual special forces training depot.

A classic handwritten entry in a paybook to a soldier who joined SS-FJ-Btl 600/SS-Jagdverbände in November 1944.

In this paybook, carried by a man who served with SS-FJ-Btl 500 and SS-FJ-Btl 600 from the beginning to the end - October 1943 to May 1945 - we see another classic handwritten entry. Of interest to Simon is the entry further up the page, Stamm/SS-Pz. Jg. Ausb. u. Ers. Abt. 1. Here we see the use of the term Abteilung. To be honest, I have never seen a reference to SS-Grenadier-Ausbildungs und Ersatz-Abteilung 35 but that is not to say that it did not exist.

ImageImage

Two more SS-FJ-Btl 600/SS-Jagdverbände-related documents to a man who served in KG Solar on the Oderfront. Again, the classic entry plus a Kennkarte issued by the Heer after the end of the war, when the man was fortunate to be 'reclaimed' by the Wehrmacht and demobilised. Note that the Heer officer who issued the demob paper omitted the sigrunen from the various unit designations.

PK
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Thanks for showing those fascinating soldbucher Paddy. Despite the condition of the item that started this thread I am beginning to doubt whether it is original or not. On the other hand the absence of any specific references on the tag (just stamping SS Ausbildungs Abt. Konitz) may also add credence to your cover story.

The tag does have a high stammrollnummer, which some might expect to see on a disc marked as Ausb.Abt 35 - being later???

More questions than answers..

Need to look into this further I think.

Thanks.
Simon Harrold

Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

A pleasure, Simon. It might be easier to discuss the erkennungsmark if you were to post pictures of it. If you can't, e-mail them to me and I will happily post them for you.

PK
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

The item in question, very tatty...
Simon Harrold

Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Dear Simon , do you know where this EM was found ? If it was found in Westpreußen or Pommern this information might be very helpful for my research :wink:

Jan-Hendrik
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Jan-Hendrik wrote:Dear Simon , do you know where this EM was found ? If it was found in Westpreußen or Pommern this information might be very helpful for my research :wink:

Jan-Hendrik
Hello Jan-hendrik,
More up to date information. It was not found near Konitz but near Hamburg! Quite a difference. I've also discovered that the SS had this Trüppenbungsplatz in Konitz from 1940. So the owner of this tag may well have been one of the first batch of original recruits to pass through this town.
Simon Harrold

Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Further to my original question. How much is it worth?
Simon Harrold

slideman

Waffen SS Grenadier Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 35

Post by slideman »

Hi My Uncle Gunar Braun (Gunars Brauns - Latvian) was a member of Waffen SS Grenadier Ausbildungs und Ersatz Bataillon 35 he must have perished along with thousands of others in Poland 1945.
Does anyone have more info on this Battalion, records of any type etc?
Thankyou
John
Attachments
Letter from Gunar
Letter from Gunar
gunnar feldpost leave papers (800x484).jpg (288.63 KiB) Viewed 4370 times
Gunnars and Friend WW2.jpg
Gunnars and Friend WW2.jpg (459.2 KiB) Viewed 4370 times