Junkerschule Lehrgang questions...

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Timo
Patron

Junkerschule Lehrgang questions...

Post by Timo »

Some Junkerschule Tölz questions,

A Sturmmann is send to the Junkerschule Tölz on 11.05.1941

- Is he send there to become an Untersturmführer or are there other courses there? I am asking because it would be quite a promotion from Sturmmann to Ustuf. Could it be a Reserve-Führeranwärter-Lehrgangs to become an Oberscharführer?

- Which course was he most likely attending and when did he graduate, given the fact that he was send to the Junkerschule on 11.05.1941?

Thankyou very much in advance,
Timo
Former member
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

And my second question,

Somebody attended the SS-Junkerlehrgang in Tölz from 01.11.1941 to 30.04.1942. At which date did he officially receive his rank of Untersturmführer?

Thanks,
Timo
Former member
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Hi Timo, in regards to your first question, if a man was considered officer material, then he could be sent to the JS whatever his rank. He did not need to become an NCO first, though he would hold NCO equivalent ranks after passing various stages of his Lehrgang, becoming a Junker, a Standartenjunker, and then a Standartenoberjunker after completing a course. The top 2 or 3 in each course would be directly promoted to SS-Ustuf, skipping the Standartenoberjunker stage, but the rest had to serve as probationary officers for a few months first. Men who were selected to be NCOs would be sent to an NCO school instead of an officer one, and for a Sturmmann, it depended on whether he was considered officer or NCO material before he weas sent to any school. If he became an NCO and showed further potential, he might eventually receive a wartime commission for bravery or for extended front service.

As to the second question, courses that finished in the spring normally saw their men become commissioned on June 21, the solstice, which was a traditional promotion date (along with April 20, November 9, and January 30). So for the 1941-42 Lehrgang graduate, June 21, 1942 would be his most likely date of promotion to Ustuf. I hope this helps!
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

Thanks for your kind reply Marc,

Unfortunately I don't have much info regarding question 1. I know he was send to Bad Tölz as a Sturmmann on 11.05.1941 and next info I have is that he's an Obersturmführer in June 1943. A lot could have happened during the period in between when it comes to being an NCO first or immediately becoming an Ustuf :(

Best regards,
Timo
Former member