SS Cavalry question

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

I'm mortified to think the KKK disgraced southerners and cavalrymen alike by posing as soldiers! Thankfully, most of the KKK types these days are FBI informants or they couldn't find enough people to fill the back of a pickup truck.

For a look at blacks and whites in the War - "Gods and Generals" is a wonderful movie that tried hard to explain how it was in those days.

How is it today?

I had lunch today in a restaurant in south Georgia and most of the folks were black - having just finished church I'd suppose from the dress - blacks and whites there obviously knew each other and there was much hugging and chatter as everyone (including me and the wife) sat down to plates of fried chicken and greens. A KKK person would have been mighty lonely in Tifton Georgia today!

I once spoke at a League of the South meeting and asked all the racists to please stand up. The chaplain of the group said "you won't find anyone like that here!"

A black friend of mine asked me once why I always talk about southerners and never mention blacks. I told him because I reckon blacks are southerners too!

When I say I'm a Johnny Reb I say it with pride but I have no love for slavery nor racism - it was that dichotomy which sunk the confederacy: we were willing to die for freedom but hadn't figured out how to extend that freedom to all. God willing, I think we have now.

cheers
Reb
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

We are not talking about the actual KKK here my friend. Actually the Kalmyken Kavallerie Korps is what we are talking about. It was just rather humorous after the discussion about the ACW.

Though off topic the KKK started as nothing more as a joke started by General Nathan Bedford Forrest who wanted to start a fraternity for Confederate Calvarymen they wore white sheets and had ludicrious titles such as Grand Wizard because it was to help the Southerners suffering from the devestating after effect of the War especially Georgia. They used to put on plays acting like the Ghosts of dead Confederates and would chase around carpetbaggers. Then a bunch of ignorant rednecks joined up and started causing havoc which led to its disbandment by the Founders who no longer found it was the fun loving organization for soldiers.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
kingtiger88
Supporter

Post by kingtiger88 »

We are not talking about the actual KKK here my friend. Actually the Kalmyken Kavallerie Korps is what we are talking about. It was just rather humorous after the discussion about the ACW.

Thanx Rajin, I was begining to wondering if my mentioning the KKK (Kalmyken Kavallerie Korps) would start another civil war on this post..... :oops:
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

A general question:

What is the origin of the words "Ku Klux Klan"?

I could undersatand if it was (to paraphrase RC) the Konfederate Kavalry Komrades, but why at least two completely unrecognisable words? Where did they spring from?

Cheers,

Sid.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Sid!

The name Ku Klux Klan comes from the greek word "kuklos" which means "circle", i e the Circle Clan. Why they chose to spell everything with "K", I don't know. Maybe it would appear more mysterious or esoteric in that way? Wasn't the original KKK from 1865 loosely based on Freemasonry organisation, i e a Lodge of some kind?

I'm sorry if I contribute to this OT path of the original Cavalry charge question...

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

R Cajun

Good points about KKK. Originally called the nightriders IIRC. Forest got a bad rap because of his early slave trading days - perhaps justifiably. But men change and his teamsters loved him - some slave and some free, they insisted on going into battle with him at Chickamauga (using yankee repeaters) and lost 17 dead.

After the war he was asked by those men to be an advisor to the Freedmen's Bureau so the former slaver was instrumental in helping former slaves adjust to their new condition.

Certainly "that devil" Forest (as Sherman called him) was one of the greatest cavalrymen of the age - Jeff Davis wrote after the war that one of his biggest mistakes was not recognizing just how good Forest was!

cheers
Reb
Domen123
Enthusiast

Re: SS Cavalry question

Post by Domen123 »

IMHO the last mounted cavalery attack was in August or september 1944 near Marki ( northeast of Warschau ) by a few squadrns of hungarian 1st Husarendiv. !They rode down their enemy in the early morning as the red Army was about to gather for an attack on Marki .

Jan-Hendrik
The last cavalry charge was by the KKK (Kalmyken Kavallerie Korps) on 17 Jan 1945 near Kielce in Poland against the Red Army. These minority Russians were under the payroll of the Wehrmacht. Needless to say, the charge was decimated at that stage and the KKK totally wiped out. After this the survivors were disbanded by the Wehrmacht and sent to join the ROA.

source-'The East came west', edited by Antonio J Munoz
Certainly not since in the night from 7th to 8th of May 1945 4. Kuban Cossack Regiment carried out a charge.

And between these two charges there were few more - for example a Polish charge at Schönfeld on 1 March 1945.

I believe the last mounted charge of WW2 took place during the Soviet Invasion of Manchuria.

And this was by no means the last mounted charge in history.

For example - recently in Afghanistan some charges (of the Coalition forces !!!) took place:

http://www.indepthinfo.com/afghanistan/ ... ldiers.htm

Just accept the fact that cavalry charges is not something which belongs to the past!

Annoyingly every single article about any mounted charge from WW2, claims it was the last in history (this also):

"Last Mounted Cavalry Charge: Luzon 1942":

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... n14685812/

A thread in which we could list as many cavalry charges from WW2 as possible would be a good idea. Reading in every single random article about any of the numerous cavalry charges from WW2 that "it was the last charge" is boring...
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Let's avoid off-topic comments such as been the case by the last several posters.

John
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

One of the last (and successfull) cavalry charges were carried out on march 23, 1945 by the I./Kuban-Kos.Reit.Rgt. 4 under the command of Major Franz-Wilhelm Mach, see link...

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=16525

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)