Can anyone identify this Sturmbannführer?

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Jez
Associate

Post by Jez »

This is what is happening on the pictures.

If you disagree then please put your point of view forward.

The SS Fuehrer is negotiating surrender from the East to the US control/ Occupied part of Bavaria.

The SS guy with the glasses is the interpreter and the SS man behind the SS fuehrer is there as back up for the negotiation. (note how he has his hand on the SS Fuehrer' should as to show that he's with his superior and also , maybe, to restrain him if his actions become a little too animated!)

The rest of the Div/Korps are patiently waiting.

When the US troops give the go ahead, the SS troops roll past thier SS Fuehrer and he salutes them as they pass into captivity.

There you go lads.

Jez.
Jez
Associate

Post by Jez »

If this was a SS Korps surrendering, then why is a Sturmbannfuhrer negotiating its release?

Wouldnt there have been a higher ranking SS man saluting his SS Korps?

Regards, Jez.
pimberg
Supporter

SS Officer = Sturmbannführer KREHNKE

Post by pimberg »

I don't think we're getting too far here. Therefore I'll throw a name into the ring. Far from being sure and without too much evidence I believe it could be SS-Sturmbannführer Hans Krehnke, battalion commander of the 37 SS-Pz.Gren-Rgt in the 17SS Div. (GvB). I base this on the following fact: Krehnke surrendered the regiment to the 10th.US Armoured Div. on 8. May 1945 near Kreuth (Bavaria) - near the German and Austrian border.
I stress that I've never seen a picture of Krehnke therefore my identification is a pure educated guess.

Regards,
Peter
Jez
Associate

Post by Jez »

That makes more sense Pimberg.

Nice one mate. Well done.

Regards, Jez.
pimberg
Supporter

It is NOT Krehnke

Post by pimberg »

I just saw a photo of Krehnke and the man in the colour photo is definately not Krehnke. Sorry for the mis-information.
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

I didn't say it was an entire corps surrendering. It is probably "korpstruppen" such as a specialized signals or heavy artillery battalion (SS-Korpsnachrichten Abteilung 113 or schwere SS-Artillerie Abteilung 113, for example), and these sort of units were often commanded by men of approximately SS-Stubaf. rank.
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

Could it be the transport column of a Division?
Former member
lennardg
Supporter

Post by lennardg »

I´ve seen this footage before in the "World at war" series I think it is in the chapter called "nemesis" as far as I can remember you see some soldiers holding bottles which would account for the silly grinning - they are drunk, I also remember that some are wearing cuff-titles but it is impossible to read them, you see some U.S infantrymen and some dead germans by the roadside I got the impression they were killed by the Czechs and the troops were surrendering in Austria or Czechoslovakia
Sven

Post by Sven »

I just completed reading Division Das Reich volume V by Otto Weidinger. He states that Regiment " Der Führer" surrendered in May 1945 in a 1000-vehicle column to the Americans in Bavaria. They had just escaped from Prague where the resistance movement put up a fight.

Is it possible that this could be rgt DF surrendering, and is it possible to look for any cuff titles in the movie?

Best regards
Sven