Richard Landwehr

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Helmut Von Moltke

Richard Landwehr

Post by Helmut Von Moltke » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:58 am

hi kameraden

I am looking for info and more articles by and about the Waffen SS Foreign volunteer historian Richard Landwehr. I read some of his srticles, like "The European volunteer movement of WWII", although it has a revisionist smell, it is quite well written, intresting and well researched. He sure is a fascinating guy! thanks for any help! :D

helmut

Reb
Patron
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:49 pm
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Post by Reb » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:15 am

von Motke

I have one of his books - Narva: The Waffen SS and the Battle for Europe which is about the III SS Pz Korps.

Picked it up years ago. Lots of detail if you're into that, and of course you are - you're here! :wink:

cheers
Reb

panzermahn
Associate
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:09 am
Location: Malaysia

Post by panzermahn » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:24 am

Richard Landwehr's book are now mostly out of print and very costly if you were able to locate one. My book's wish list was to own all the Siegrunen issues until now... :wink:

User avatar
Tom Houlihan
Patron
Posts: 4301
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:05 pm
Location: MI, USA
Contact:

Post by Tom Houlihan » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:37 am

Panzermahn, if you still want them, I recommend http://www.merriam-press.com/

Ray has a good selection of them on CD.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!

panzermahn
Associate
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:09 am
Location: Malaysia

Post by panzermahn » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:03 am

Tom wrote:Panzermahn, if you still want them, I recommend http://www.merriam-press.com/

Ray has a good selection of them on CD.
Hi Tom,

Yes, I knew about this website but I wanted all in hard copies....and it might cost around US$500-1000 to get all of the Siegrunen monographs and issues.

Landwehr's books and magazines is quite useful in the sense that it has very rare (I mean really really rare) photos!

There are mistakes in Landwehr's research but you had to give him credit for doing research in a field (in english) which was quite rare in the 70s and 80s

Regards
Panzermahn

Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:48 am

Tom wrote:Panzermahn, if you still want them, I recommend http://www.merriam-press.com/

Ray has a good selection of them on CD.
btw, thanks Tom, nice site. :D :[] :up:

helmut

User avatar
Tom Houlihan
Patron
Posts: 4301
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:05 pm
Location: MI, USA
Contact:

Post by Tom Houlihan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

Helmut Von Moltke wrote:btw, thanks Tom, nice site.
You're welcome, Helmut!

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from Ray in the past. I've done a little work for him, too.

I heartily recommend him.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!

Lorenz
Patron
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:10 am

Post by Lorenz » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:08 pm

I was in close contact with Landwehr for 4 or 5 years back in the 1970's but then lost touch. Is Richard still with us, or did Father Time eventually catch up with him? He was living in Oregon then.

--Lorenz

merriampress
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: Hoosick Falls, New York
Contact:

Richard Landwehr

Post by merriampress » Sat May 06, 2006 3:36 pm

Heard about this thread last month by my email was totally screwed up so unable to register with Feldgrau until today. Anyway, thought I'd better add my two cents to this thread since I have known Richard since the early 70s and have at times helped him with publishing his magazine, Siegrunen (issues #30 through #46 or 47 were produced and printed with my assistance, and were printed in quantities of 500 per issue).

Yes, he is still alive and producing material though at a slower pace. In recent years I have been helping Richard reprint some of his older material that has been out of print, such as his work on French volunteers in the Waffen-SS (which has been expanded with many more photos) and three others. These are now being published in quality paperback and hardcover (with dust jacket) editions. These and the currently available back issues of Siegrunen can be seen at my web site (go to the home page and then click on the Waffen-SS link on the left hand side).

Many of the earliest issues of SR are completely sold out and have been for years. The earliest issues were printed in very small quantities (sometimes 100 or so) just to fill the orders he had for them at the time. For a while I was selling photocopies of those issues but no longer (stupidly I sold my originals years ago when I stopped producing my own books using a photocopier - it was just too much work and cost a fortune for copier maintenance).

More recent issues are available as PDF files which can be printed out and if done on a good quality laser printer they will be as good as the originals in many cases and for some maybe even better. Some issues are still available in the original printed versions but many of the back issues are in short supply.

Richard plans to reissue some of this older material in book format with my help. And some of his books that are currently out of print will be reprinted through me. Currently I am working on two of these, one for the British Free Corps and one a pictorial, Frontfighters, about the Norwegian volunteer legion.

He is still publishing Siegrunen, but is down to two issues a year because of rising costs and lack of sales. He is considering stopping publication of the magazine to concentrate on the books, which are (understandably) more lurcrative than the magazine.

He is still in Oregon, though has moved after selling his book store in the 1980s (the town was becoming "hippie" central for the area). He doesn't have a web site, hence I have been selling his books through my web site, while he continues to sell by mail.
Ray Merriam
Merriam Press
489 South Street
Hoosick Falls NY 12090

Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke » Sat May 06, 2006 6:32 pm

thanks for the extra info Merriam! May I ask, is it possible to lets say.... ask you to print out the PDF file after someone pays, or does it have extra charge?

User avatar
Tom Houlihan
Patron
Posts: 4301
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:05 pm
Location: MI, USA
Contact:

Post by Tom Houlihan » Sat May 06, 2006 8:11 pm

Welcome, Ray!! Glad to see you here!

Thanks for the update on Mr. Landwehr, that's interesting.

Folks, if you need good reference material, you need to visit Ray's site. There is a wealth of knowledge there.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!

panzermahn
Associate
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:09 am
Location: Malaysia

Re: Richard Landwehr

Post by panzermahn » Sat May 06, 2006 9:24 pm

merriampress wrote:Heard about this thread last month by my email was totally screwed up so unable to register with Feldgrau until today. Anyway, thought I'd better add my two cents to this thread since I have known Richard since the early 70s and have at times helped him with publishing his magazine, Siegrunen (issues #30 through #46 or 47 were produced and printed with my assistance, and were printed in quantities of 500 per issue).

Yes, he is still alive and producing material though at a slower pace. In recent years I have been helping Richard reprint some of his older material that has been out of print, such as his work on French volunteers in the Waffen-SS (which has been expanded with many more photos) and three others. These are now being published in quality paperback and hardcover (with dust jacket) editions. These and the currently available back issues of Siegrunen can be seen at my web site (go to the home page and then click on the Waffen-SS link on the left hand side).

Many of the earliest issues of SR are completely sold out and have been for years. The earliest issues were printed in very small quantities (sometimes 100 or so) just to fill the orders he had for them at the time. For a while I was selling photocopies of those issues but no longer (stupidly I sold my originals years ago when I stopped producing my own books using a photocopier - it was just too much work and cost a fortune for copier maintenance).

More recent issues are available as PDF files which can be printed out and if done on a good quality laser printer they will be as good as the originals in many cases and for some maybe even better. Some issues are still available in the original printed versions but many of the back issues are in short supply.

Richard plans to reissue some of this older material in book format with my help. And some of his books that are currently out of print will be reprinted through me. Currently I am working on two of these, one for the British Free Corps and one a pictorial, Frontfighters, about the Norwegian volunteer legion.

He is still publishing Siegrunen, but is down to two issues a year because of rising costs and lack of sales. He is considering stopping publication of the magazine to concentrate on the books, which are (understandably) more lurcrative than the magazine.

He is still in Oregon, though has moved after selling his book store in the 1980s (the town was becoming "hippie" central for the area). He doesn't have a web site, hence I have been selling his books through my web site, while he continues to sell by mail.
Hi Ray,

Thank you for posting here and for the update on Richard Landwehr. Is Richard is going to reprint his older issues like those of issue 1 to 27?

I'm looking for some selected Siegrunen issues and I had already ask my friend in US to order (from your website) and he will bring back to me to Malaysia because the shipping cost from US to Malaysia is too expensive to cover my budget for Siegrunen issues.

I sent you a PM

Panzermahn

Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke » Sat May 06, 2006 9:26 pm

there's compeittion to grab Sigrunen between me and Panzermahn! :D lol, joking :wink:

merriampress
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: Hoosick Falls, New York
Contact:

Richard Landwehr

Post by merriampress » Sat May 06, 2006 10:19 pm

Helmut Von Moltke wrote:thanks for the extra info Merriam! May I ask, is it possible to lets say.... ask you to print out the PDF file after someone pays, or does it have extra charge?
Unfortunately, if this is required I do have to charge for it - 25 cents per page. The reason is that I scan each page as a high quality TIFF file and then combine those into a single PDF file. As a result, each page prints out as if it were a full page image and these can take a couple of minutes per page or more. In addition to the time factor, perhaps an hour to print a single issue, there is the cost of the materials - paper and toner - plus the cost of electricity [I learned a few months ago when switching from printing all my books on my own laser printer to having them done by an outside printer that now that I use my laser printer for just a few minutes a day, my electric bill has been cut in half - I never realized how much juice the beast - one of those huge LJ 8100 32ppm office jobs - sucked up!].

So, yes, I can print them out for you but it will cost you 25 cents per page plus shipping.
Ray Merriam
Merriam Press
489 South Street
Hoosick Falls NY 12090

merriampress
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: Hoosick Falls, New York
Contact:

Richard Landwehr

Post by merriampress » Sat May 06, 2006 10:22 pm

Tom wrote:Welcome, Ray!! Glad to see you here!

Thanks for the update on Mr. Landwehr, that's interesting.

Folks, if you need good reference material, you need to visit Ray's site. There is a wealth of knowledge there.
Thanks, Tom! I'll return the favor by saying if you need maps done for a book or article, contact Tom. Does excellent work and terrific to work with. Samples are at his web site, including the map he did for one of the articles to be included in the second issue of World War II Journal (which is produced only as a PDF file sold on CD disc - the disc is FILLED to the brim with articles, photos and more.
Ray Merriam
Merriam Press
489 South Street
Hoosick Falls NY 12090

Post Reply