Theodor Eicke

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Helmut
Patron

Theodor Eicke

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
On what day in Septemnber, 1941 did Eicke reassume command of the Totenkopf Division. I have seen various dates from the 18th to the 22d.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Helmut
LexLothar

Post by LexLothar »

The 19th. :wink:
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus Lex,
Thanks for your infor but what is your source.

Thanks again.

Helmut
LexLothar

Post by LexLothar »

actually its under feldgrau's main site:

http://www.feldgrau.com/3ss.html

Scrolls down to Commanders on the Left:

Obergruppenführer Theodor Eicke, 11.01.39 - 7.7.41
Obergruppenführer Matthias Kleinheisterkamp, 7.07.41 - 7.18.41
Obergruppenführer Georg Keppler, 7.18.41 - 9.19.41
Obergruppenführer Theodor Eicke, 9.19.41 - 2.26.43
Obergruppenführer Herman Priess, 2.26.43 - 4.27.43
Gruppenführer Heinz Lammerding, 4.27.43 - 5.15.43
Gruppenführer Max Simon, 5.15.43 - 10.22.43
Obergruppenführer Herman Priess, 10.22.43 - 6.21.44
Brigadeführer Hellmuth Becker, 6.21.44 - 5.8.45[/b]
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

Why was Eicke away from Totenkopf in the first place? Was he wounded?

Yours,
Paul
LexLothar

Post by LexLothar »

He was severely injured on July 6th 1941 when his command vehicle struck a mine, causing him to suffer nerve damage and a shattered right foot.
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

And he came back after only two months, after all that? The man must've been awfully tough, Lex. Thanks.

Yours,
Paul
LexLothar

Post by LexLothar »

Well...hes the guy who shot Ernst Roehm...commanded the Dachau concentration camp and also trained the Totenkopfverbande to hate and disregard prisoners. Yep you dont want him on your Christmas list lol :wink:
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

I suppose not, Lex. Yet I've read that when he was killed in February 1943, a goodly number of Totenkopf soldiers volunteered to risk their necks to recover his body from a shot-down Fiesler Storch aircraft either behind Russian lines or quite close to them. For all his personal toughness and possible streak of sadism, he sure must've been a good leader of men for them to be willing to recover his body.

Yours,
Paul
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
I did sme digging in the TK Div unit history ( Soldaten, Kaempfer, Kameraden) and in Vol IIa it showswhere he reassumed command on the 19th. The Book SOLDIERS OF DESTRUCTION however shows the 21st. I think I would tend to believe the officieal unit history however.
I had also heard from veterans of the Division that Eicke was much loved by his men. He was referred to as Papa Eicke by them which would indicate some affection by them.

Regards and thanks for all your help.

Helmut
LexLothar

Post by LexLothar »

Glad to help out :D . When I started out researching the 3rd, it became apparent the Eicke commanded respect on a level that was unsurpassed. Since a large number of men went into the 3rd Div directly from the totenkopfverbande, he was looked at as more than just a commander...since the relationship to the men was very close and personal (early in totenkopfs history) unlike other Divisions. :D
Benoit Douville
Contributor

Post by Benoit Douville »

That's one of the reason why the Totenkopf Division is so fascinating, the amazing relationship between Eicke with his men. Their performance on the Eastern Front was awsome.

Regards
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
I find it fascinating that Eicke, though he never had any formal military training , could be such an effective and respected military commander. People who write him off as a butcher boy do him and history an injustice. Soldiers can tolerate a martinet but they cannot tolerate an incompetent. The respect his soldiers had, and stil have for the man speaks volumes. It would have been interesting to see how far up the ladder he would have gone had he lived.

Regards,
Helmut
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

But I thought Eicke was a WWI veteran, Helmut. That he had no formal officer training, I'll gladly agree, but no prior military experience whatsoever?

What's the story?

Yours,
Paul
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Ya know, Paul, I don't know about has WWI experience. I will concede he was in that war but I believe he was an NCO. Cerainly he didn't have any experience that would have qualified him for higher command. Certainly no General Staff training.

Regards,

Helmut