The Bulgarian Waffen-SS

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Brannik333

The Bulgarian Waffen-SS

Post by Brannik333 »

Hi,

In 1944 when the USSR armies had occupied Bulgaria about 700 soldjers, citezans and students form one fighting group in Waffen-SS.Himler thought about whole divisian from Bulgarians and Rumanians.First the Bulgarians are located in Austria then in Bavaria.Because of one fighting between Bulgarians and Germans in one pub in one village in Austria the weapons of the Bulgarians were taken.It is interesting that the Bulgarian troops were located in the castle in Germany where was born the first ruler of the new Bulgarian state(1878)-knyaz Alexander Batenberg.These troops didn't fight but when they tried to reach Berlin the captured 300 Russians and took their weapons.That's why some Bulgarians were honoured with Iron cross.The commander of these troops was captain Razvigoroff.
Even before 1944 there were many volanteers for SS.Members of the Bulgarian National Legions(BNL) fought in Russia.They said that their act is thank to the Germans for their help for Bulgaria.Please who now something more or want to ask me something-write here!

Grusse aus Bulgarien
Wir haben ein Vaterland!Es heisst Bulgarien.Wir sind ihre Soldaten und wir sind fertig fur alles.Sieg Bulgarien!Sieg Brannik!
jarek
Supporter

Bulgarian Waffen SS

Post by jarek »

Hi Brannik,
control url: http://www.genstab.ru/bulgar_ss.htm
Bestreg.
Jarek
Heilsberg / Ostpreussen
Brannik333

Post by Brannik333 »

Hi Jarek,

I have taken my information from the translation in Bulgarian of this text.In Bulgaria little is known about these people.You know that in the communist pas they were not very popular:).You can visit the site thirdreich.boinaslava.net.It is nice and think you will understand it if you can read Bulgarian letters.
Best Regards
Wir haben ein Vaterland!Es heisst Bulgarien.Wir sind ihre Soldaten und wir sind fertig fur alles.Sieg Bulgarien!Sieg Brannik!
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Alexander Bat(t)enberg? Interesting; same as the British family who changed it to Mountbatten in 1914.
nino
Supporter

Post by nino »

Hi Brannik333,

I would like to ask some questions for you:

1) when and where Bulgarian Waffen-SS was form, their's actions (if they were exist), and the fate of them after the war? (I think it is more better if you could translate the full text)
2) I want to know if Bulgarian government know their's citizen fighting in Bulgarian National Legions(BNL).

Best Regards
Brannik333

Post by Brannik333 »

Hi

I will start with the second question.BNL are not group in the Wermacht.This is Bulgarian nationalistic organisazation until 1944(Now they are in Bulgaria again but are not very popular).They said that the Germans helped the Bulgarians to unite them in one Great state, so the Bulgarians should help them in Russia.In 1942( the date is not known) in the city of Rousse a big group of 3000 BNL most fanatic members had meeting.On this meeting one of the speakers asked if someone of the mambers would fight for Hitler in Russia.Almost all of them wanted to fight.But the official Bulgarian propaganda didnot mantioned any Bulgarian troops in Russia.The leaders of BNL decided to send those of the volanteers who speak perfect German.No more than 100 spoke it perfect( most of them graduated in Germany).After all about 500 men went to Germany with the help of Gestapo and became a part of the regular SS armies.Some of them became later part of the Bulgarian SS.
About the second question:The Bulgarian anti-tank brigade in W-SS was formred in the automn of 1944.O 4th of April 1945 they were given their first task- to defend Vienna in the sector of 2nd tank corp of SS.But there was a plot made from some scared soldjers.Colonel Razvigoroff( he is colonel not captain.I have made a mistake) killed these soldjers but the German officers wanted from Bulgarians to give back their weapons.Razvigoroff did it.But then the Bulgarian brigade had another task to defend the small village of Stokerau, near Vienna.The brigare had own airplane for reconnoitre.The pilot spoke about big USSR troops near the village.Something more-these were the same soldjers who went through Bulgaria half an year before.This fact made great enthusiasm in the Bulgarian rows.On 6th of May the battle started.Razvigoroff decided to fight in the very village because the brigade din not have any artillery.The Brigade made great battle.They holded the village and thousands of Russians until they received command for retreat and go to Berlin.The new about capitulation of the Reich found them in the heart of Germany.Some of them changed their uniforms with the Russian captured in Stokerau.They tried to reach the American zone and to capitulate to them.But on their way large Russians Group recognized them.Then a second battle started.The Bulgarians were victorious.But Razvigoroff was killed.Most of the soldjers were killed too.Only small group of them(about 100 men) reached the American positions.In 1956 the communists in Bulgaria announced forgiveness for these men and they returned to the Vaterland.In 1989 they made their veteran organization.I think that all of them are dead now.In the communism age they could work only very hard jobs and the people were scared from them because of the communists.
Thank you for the questions!
Best regards!
nino
Supporter

Post by nino »

Brannik333,

Thank U very much for your great infos :D
BTW, could tell me when and where BNL fought in Russia?

Best Regards
Nino
Brannik333

Post by Brannik333 »

Hi Nino,

It is not known(or I don't know:))where the members of BNL fought.They became just part of the Wermacht and was send to the different sectors in Russia or may be also in the western front.Most of them took German citezenship also.I don't have information about different Bulgarian troop fighting for the Germans before the Bulgarians in W-SS.
Best regards
nino
Supporter

Post by nino »

Hi Brannik333,

Thank U very much :D

Best Regards
Nino
Brannik333

Post by Brannik333 »

If somebody has more information about Bulgarian SS or can tell me about some books in German English or Russian please write here!

Greetings from Bulgaria
TheFerret
Supporter

Post by TheFerret »

Brannik333 wrote:Hi

I will start with the second question.BNL are not group in the Wermacht.This is Bulgarian nationalistic organisazation until 1944(Now they are in Bulgaria again but are not very popular).They said that the Germans helped the Bulgarians to unite them in one Great state, so the Bulgarians should help them in Russia.In 1942( the date is not known) in the city of Rousse a big group of 3000 BNL most fanatic members had meeting.On this meeting one of the speakers asked if someone of the mambers would fight for Hitler in Russia.Almost all of them wanted to fight.But the official Bulgarian propaganda didnot mantioned any Bulgarian troops in Russia.The leaders of BNL decided to send those of the volanteers who speak perfect German.No more than 100 spoke it perfect( most of them graduated in Germany).After all about 500 men went to Germany with the help of Gestapo and became a part of the regular SS armies.Some of them became later part of the Bulgarian SS.
About the second question:The Bulgarian anti-tank brigade in W-SS was formred in the automn of 1944.O 4th of April 1945 they were given their first task- to defend Vienna in the sector of 2nd tank corp of SS.But there was a plot made from some scared soldjers.Colonel Razvigoroff( he is colonel not captain.I have made a mistake) killed these soldjers but the German officers wanted from Bulgarians to give back their weapons.Razvigoroff did it.But then the Bulgarian brigade had another task to defend the small village of Stokerau, near Vienna.The brigare had own airplane for reconnoitre.The pilot spoke about big USSR troops near the village.Something more-these were the same soldjers who went through Bulgaria half an year before.This fact made great enthusiasm in the Bulgarian rows.On 6th of May the battle started.Razvigoroff decided to fight in the very village because the brigade din not have any artillery.The Brigade made great battle.They holded the village and thousands of Russians until they received command for retreat and go to Berlin.The new about capitulation of the Reich found them in the heart of Germany.Some of them changed their uniforms with the Russian captured in Stokerau.They tried to reach the American zone and to capitulate to them.But on their way large Russians Group recognized them.Then a second battle started.The Bulgarians were victorious.But Razvigoroff was killed.Most of the soldjers were killed too.Only small group of them(about 100 men) reached the American positions.In 1956 the communists in Bulgaria announced forgiveness for these men and they returned to the Vaterland.In 1989 they made their veteran organization.I think that all of them are dead now.In the communism age they could work only very hard jobs and the people were scared from them because of the communists.
Thank you for the questions!
Best regards!
Thats an amazing story.

BTW: The post war purges by the communists of collaborators in Bulgaria was among the worst in Europe. Several thousand people were executed. It not only extended to Fascists but came to include anyone opposed to the Communist regeim inculding the primary opposition leader, Pletkov.
Brannik333

Post by Brannik333 »

Hi,

That is really true.But the correct spelling is Petkov, Nikola.Hi is the leader of the party BZNS(Bulgarian Farmer People's Alliance)A party with very interesting history.Its ideology is against the '' beast'' capitalism but also against the ''beast'' totalirism.

P.S. The word ''beast'' is taken from their propaganda materials.

At first BZNS-Nikola Petkov have taken part in the Fatherland's Front- the first government after the soviet invasion.But after seeing the real ideas of the communists it went to oppossition and was killed.
Brannik333

Post by Brannik333 »

I want to set up a theme about the youth organization called Brannik because many of the members of the bulgarian SS were members of Brannik before.The leader of Brannik called doctor Klechkov which is strange because he wan never military member.If somebody want to have more information about Brannik-write in this room!
Greetings from Bulgaria