When did the Allgemeine SS stop wearing their Black Uniforms

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Kameraden
Contributor

When did the Allgemeine SS stop wearing their Black Uniforms

Post by Kameraden »

Hi

Could someone tell me when the Allgemeine SS stopped wearing the Black Uniform?

Or did they?

Someone has said Major Von Hapen from the Movie "Where Eagles Dare" should not be wearing this in 1943.

Thanx
I will show you were the Iron Crosses Grow!
awaygood
Supporter

Post by awaygood »

The black uniform was phased-out from 1937, to be replaced by a grey uniform with, for the Allgemeine SS (and security organisations, such as the SD) exactly the same cut (with the addition of shoulder straps on both shoulders, and the SS eagle replacing the swastika brassard).
If I remember correctly, von Hapen, in 'Where Eagles Dare', was wearing the black uniform of the Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler regiment which, too, had been phased-out well before the start of the war -so, no, he shouldn't have been wearing it (besides, wasn't he supposed to be in the Gestapo, which also didn't wear the black uniform during the war!).
As the war progressed, the unused black uniforms were collected, their cuffs and collars replaced with either a blue or a green (I've forgotten which colour, perhaps someone else can confirm?) material, and issued to police auxiliaries serving in the East. Accordingly, relatively few examples of the black uniform survived.
Kameraden
Contributor

Post by Kameraden »

I don't think Von Hapen had an LSSAH uniform'but will check.
awaygood
Supporter

Post by awaygood »

If he is wearing a black SS uniform with SS runes, then it's a Leibstandarte uniform, because the only regiment to wear plain SS runes on their black tunic was that regiment. Other SS-VT regiments wore a combined SS/numeral runes on their right-hand collar patches... SS-TV regiments had death's heads... the Allgemeine SS didn't wear SS runes at all... and Central Office wore blank collar patches. Beside, check out his cuff-title; bet it says "Adolf Hitler"!
Kameraden
Contributor

Post by Kameraden »

You's lose the bet.
There is no Cuff Title.
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

I believe he was dressed in a black uniform for the dramatic effect--after all, the actor was blond and blue-eyed, the typical "Nazi" stereotype. Most likely, it wouldn't have looked so dramatic had he been in field-gray.

Yours,
Paul
john_kidd

Re Black Uniform

Post by john_kidd »

Actually all Gestapo and SD wore grey uniform in Occupied Europe.
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

I note when watching Conspiracy that all the SS-uniformed characters (except for the kitchen help and the servitors helping with the buffet lunch) are dressed in field gray.

Yours,
Paul
john_kidd

Re Film and Field Grey Uniform

Post by john_kidd »

Since the start of the war all members wore the field grey uniform.
Ubersoldat

Post by Ubersoldat »

but why? :?: i saw in a couple of movies Hitler with a white uniform, what was the occasion for this?
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Ubersoldat wrote:but why? :?: i saw in a couple of movies Hitler with a white uniform, what was the occasion for this?
This was discussed here before, perhaps they didn't want to be mocked by the W-SS men who really did do some fighting, not only parading like the rest.

best,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
Paul_9686
Associate

Post by Paul_9686 »

I think Hitler designed his own uniforms as head of the Nazi Party and Fuehrer of Germany. Perhaps the white uniform (was it a whole uniform or a jacket only?) was intended for summer formal wear, like when he was at Berchtesgaden, while he wore a darker-colored jacket (a slightly different shade of field-grey) in most other months.

Yours,
Paul