Looking for information on my grandfather

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
rdw

Looking for information on my grandfather

Post by rdw »

Thanks for all the help so far in trying to trace the military history of my grandfather. His name was August Geller, and he was born in Pirmasens, Germany on 18/06/21. I tried to post a picture, but had no joy, if you would like a copy please e-mail me..

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
[img]

[/img]
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

The photos of August Geller...

Former member
rdw

Post by rdw »

Thanks Timo
Thomas V.
Supporter

Post by Thomas V. »

At first glance it would appear that this Landser was a Rottenführer (zugleich Unterführeranwärter) with the Verw.-Abz.i.Silber (?). In the first photo he wears an Ärmelband, so if you would manage to enlarge that particular part of the photo, his division would be known.
rdw

Post by rdw »

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your help, unfortunately I only have a scanned copy and this was as good as I could get them. The originals are in Germany with my grandmother who met my grandfather after the war and she cannot offer me any additional help as it was something he never talked about.

He was injured by grenade shrapnel during the war, and I would like to know where he fought, what regiment he was with and where he received the injury.

I take it Rottenführer would have been his rank?
Thomas V.
Supporter

Post by Thomas V. »

If you could have a clearer scan of the Ärmelband, yes, then is unit would be know and it would be (grosso modo) able to say where he was wounded. There is no way of being sure just by looking at these photos that he was Rttf. at the end of the war, he might have been promoted to Uscha. Very little photos were taken from 1943 onwards due to lower presence of film rolls. At best I'd submit a search for you grandfather at the German Volksbund. Most soldiers left traces in some archive or another. Simply fill in the list here;

http://www.com-de.pair.com/wast/frame_e.htm
(click on 'Tracing Request')