11.SS-Freiw.Pz.Gren.Div. NORDLAND.

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Hans N
Supporter

11.SS-Freiw.Pz.Gren.Div. NORDLAND.

Post by Hans N »

Hi,

i´m looking for info regarding Nordland division. Would be greatfull to get som fotos (pics) and info regarding the history of the division, officers and men.

Is there any good books regarding this topic?

regards

Hans N
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

http://www.wiking.org/topics/nordland.htm

not exactly what you were looking for but...

regards
Edwin Meinsma

Re: 11.SS-Freiw.Pz.Gren.Div. NORDLAND.

Post by Edwin Meinsma »

Hans N wrote:Hi,

i´m looking for info regarding Nordland division. Would be greatfull to get som fotos (pics) and info regarding the history of the division, officers and men.

Is there any good books regarding this topic?

regards

Hans N
Try Wilhelm Tieke, Tragedy of the faithful. A history of the III.Germanisches SS-Panzer-Korps.

It contains a lot of info on 11.SS 'Nordland'

Regards,
Edwin Meinsma
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Hello Hans:

You made no mention of language regarding books. For specifics there are parts in several other volumes as well. Wilhelm Tieke also wrote "Nordland-Nederland, Nachträge zu den Truppengeschichten," a small format SB book witha lot of interesting perspectives and documentation. The Division's commanders are examined in detail in my 2 vols reference "Waffen-SS Commanders." The German Cross in Silver holders who spent some part of their service with "Nordland" are in my most recent book "German Cross in Silver Holders of the SS and Police."

Best
Mark
Juha Hujanen
Supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen »

Also Rickhard Landwehr:Nordic Warriors" could be helpful.

Chears Juha
Karhufin
Chris
Supporter

Booktitles

Post by Chris »

Hi Hans

Here are a few titles of my recommended reading about Nordland:

Tieke, Wilhelm; Tragödie um die treue, Munin Verlag, Osnabrück, 1968. (Also translated into English as already mentioned (Tragedy of the faithfull)
Tieke, Wilhelm; “Das Ende zwischen Oder und Elbe -Der Kampf um Berlin 1945”, Motorbuch verlag, Stuttgart, 1994. (Translated yet? Rumors has it that it will be.)
Nielsen, Erik H.; “Fjendeland”, Modus, København, 1995. (Danish text!) (Officer in Regiment 24. "Danmark", telling of the Battles at Narwa+)
Landwehr, Richard; Narwa 1944 -Battle for Europe, Bibliophile Legion Books Inc., Silver Spring, 1981. (Largely based on Tiekes writing.)
Krabbe, Oluf; Danske soldater i kamp på Østfronten, Odense universitet, Odense, 1976. (Former officer from the "Freikorps Danmark") (Also has good info on the Nordland division)
Christensen, Claus Bundgård +.; Under hagekors og Dannebrog; Aschehoug, Viborg, 1998. (The danish perspective. Also debate the Nordland, and the battles they fought. More sociology than military history, but a very good academic base for understanding the aspects of the volunteer movement related to the Nordland division.)
Landwehr, Richard og Nielsen, Holger Thor; “Nordic Warriors“, Shelf Books, Halifax, 1999. (Based on 1944, but revised with info from the son of a danish volunteer.)

Although the reading recommended here are largely from the danish perspective, they, the books, all relate to the 11. SS-Division "Nordland.

Chris
Last edited by Chris on Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hans N
Supporter

Post by Hans N »

Mark C. Yerger wrote:Hello Hans:

You made no mention of language regarding books. For specifics there are parts in several other volumes as well. Wilhelm Tieke also wrote "Nordland-Nederland, Nachträge zu den Truppengeschichten," a small format SB book witha lot of interesting perspectives and documentation. The Division's commanders are examined in detail in my 2 vols reference "Waffen-SS Commanders." The German Cross in Silver holders who spent some part of their service with "Nordland" are in my most recent book "German Cross in Silver Holders of the SS and Police."

Best
Mark
Dear Mr Yerger,

I´d prefer the nordic (danish, norwegean,finnish and swedish), english and german languages! Do you have any pics that you could share with me, it´s not gonna be forwarded in any websites etc. For private collecting only.

Btw i saw that you are looking for fotos regarding the German Cross in Gold, i might have some (not for sell of course)!

regards

Hans N
Edwin Meinsma

Post by Edwin Meinsma »

Mark C. Yerger wrote:Wilhelm Tieke also wrote "Nordland-Nederland, Nachträge zu den Truppengeschichten," a small format SB book witha lot of interesting perspectives and documentation.
Mark,

Can you tell me more about this title. When was it published and in what way differs it from 'Tragödie um die Treue' ?

Thanks.

Regards,
Edwin Meinsma
Patrick Krebbers

Re: 11.SS-Freiw.Pz.Gren.Div. NORDLAND.

Post by Patrick Krebbers »

Hi Hans,

"Die 11.SS-freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Nordland"
from Rolf Michaelis written in German. ISBN 3-930849-29-1

Very interesting book, history about the division and also the smallest unit historys.

Best regards Patrick
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Nachtrage zu dem Truppengeschichte collects additional articles and photos that Tieke didn't have available when he prepared Tragodie um die Treue. The English translation Tragedy of the Faithful combines both Tieke works into one hardcover volume.
Swedish/Spanish researcher (Sten-) Erik Norling conducted extensive research with some of the Norwegian veterans over the last 15 years. Much of his findings were written into his Spanish language book Raza de Vikingos, published in 1995 by Edicions Garcia Hispan in Spain. This is a very informative book, with much information not in Tieke, especially on the Norwegians. Some of Norling's Norwegian material was also presented in English in Siegrunen issue #51. Norling has also written Sangre en la Nieve (Blood on the Snow) about the various foreign volunteers who fought in Finland between 1939 and 1944. This book was also published by Garcia Hispan (circa 1993) is is full of obscure details.
Swedish volunteer Erik "Jerka" Wallen (Wallin is apparently an incorrect spelling) wrote his account of serving in the "Swedish Company" of SS-PAA 11 in 1945, after returning to Sweden. Former SS-war reporter Thorolf Hillblad was his ghost writer, and is still alive. He recently released the rights to an English translation, which Helion plans to publish within the next couple of years.
Since Mark plugged his own books, allow me to mention that my own Soldiers of the Waffen-SS : Many Nations, One Motto includes extensive photo coverage of the III. (germanisches) SS-Panzerkorps, and that my newly-published Waffen-SS : The Encyclopedia has extensive text coverage of this same topic (and of all of the Germanic Waffen-SS, nation by nation, with additional information on the campaigns of Wiking and Nordland).
I hope this is helpful.
Hans N
Supporter

Post by Hans N »

Thank you all for the help and tips i got!

/ Hans N
Klaus

Berlin 45

Post by Klaus »

Hi Hans

One more book to add to the list of books about Nordland:

Helge Fjelde: Berlin 45 (This is a personal account of the last days in Berlin. The book is the half part of a diary of a danish volunteer, and is to my knowledge only available in Danish).

I would very much support the recommendations made by Chris above - especially "Under hagekors og Dannebrog" if you are interested in knowing more about the volunteers and their background.

Regards

Klaus
Wolfgang

NordLand Info.

Post by Wolfgang »

Here is a link to my reenactment unit. My Zug Kommander has unit historys there. http://www.geocities.com/frontkjemper/
He may be able to point you in the right direction of the information you are looking for.
Aaron Hesselbrock
Mammut

Post by Mammut »

Well in the books, by Bosse Schön about swedish volunteers there are some pics of the "Nordland".
Wolfgang

NordLand Info.

Post by Wolfgang »

Here are some sites that have books on Waffen-SS Nordland. they are listed on the web page, but you'll have to look for them.
http://www.iifpub.mb.ca
or it might be" jjpub.mb.ca" not sure the first two letters are hard to tell.also Known as Tiger Hobbies. You might look at the books offered on
http://www.wssob.com they have info on units and books listed there....
Aaron Hesselbrock