SS Penal battalion 500/600:Paratroopers

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Hans Weber
Enthusiast

Re: SS Penal battalion 500/600:Paratroopers

Post by Hans Weber »

Hello

It seems that Skorzeny didn't have a very clear picture on the Ardennes regarding the SS-Fallschirmjäger. Besides the Kompanie from Jagdverband Mitte, one to four Companies are mentioned in his various post war statements. Does anybody have hard data how many Companies were up front in the end or is it just a case of guessing which one might be the "right" statement? Also, can I assume that FSJ Battalion 600 was organized as this: Stab und Stabskompanie, 3 Schützenkompanien (mot), 1 schwere Kompanie?

TIA

Cheers
Hans
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Panzerbrigade 150 included 1./SS-Fallschirmjäger-Btl 600, previously the Feldausbildungs-Kp of SS-Fallschirmjäger-Btl 500, augmented by an additional group described by some sources as a composite company. However, it was probably around half-company strength, drawn from those experienced soldiers who were not required at the battalion depot as cadre during the formation and training of the bulk of new recruits. There was also a composite battalion of Luftwaffe Fallshirmjäger.

Stab/SS-Fallschirmjäger-Btl 600
1./SS-Fallschirmjäger-Btl 600
2./SS-Fallschirmjäger-Btl 600
3./SS-Fallschirmjäger-Btl 600
4. (Schw)/SS-Fallschirmjäger-Btl 600

PK
Hans Weber
Enthusiast

Post by Hans Weber »

Paddy

Thanks.

The 1./SS-Fallsch.Jäg. Btl. 600, is it identical with Kp Leiheit?

Is this "augmentation" the basis of the Skorzeny statement that his Company from Fallsch.Jäg. Btl. 600 was "reinforced"?

To sum up, about 1 1/2 Cos were effectivly used then from Fallsch.Jäg.Btl. 600.

The Gliederung is what I thought, thanks for confirming.

Is anything more specific known about Kp Mans or Manns (I read both spellings).

And finally, the composite Bn you refer to, it's not the Schluckebier or Bading Bn, yes?

Cheers
Hans
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Hallo Hans,

Leifheit was Kompaniechef of 1./SS-FJ-Btl 600 but the company was never known as Kompanie Leifheit.

I suspect that this was indeed Otto Skorzeny's meaning.

Leifheit's group were supposedly part of Fallschirmjäger-Btl Schluckebier on the PB 150 ORBAT.

Fallschirmjäger-Btl Bading comprised a company of SS-JVb "Mitte" under SS-Ostuf Manns.

I believe that some of the Luftwaffe FJ in FJ-Btl Schluckebier and Bading were veterans of the Fallschirmjäger staffel of KG 200.

There is an interesting discussion here: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 3&t=136789

PK
Hans Weber
Enthusiast

Post by Hans Weber »

Paddy

That's just perfect. Many thanks.

Cheers
Hans
HeinrichFrey
Contributor
Location: Franconia-Franconie-Franken-巴伐利亚州-Франки-فرانك-バイエルン