Graf Spee question

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Luftmann

Graf Spee question

Post by Luftmann »

When I was a child, living in Dublin, Eire I can remember being taken by my parents to visit the KMS Graf Spee which was on a courtesy visit. It would have been about 1937 -38.

I remember that we boarded using the port quarter gangway and for some years afterwards I had a diary with several of the crew's names in it.

Can any one tell me the dates when this visit occured. I have always supposed that it was 1937 timed to coincide with the Spithead Coronation review but I know that the Graf Spee did not attend that function.

I moved to England in late 1938.

I thought I had posted this yesterday but it has not gone through.

Thanks in advance.
TPMM
Contributor

Post by TPMM »

I found this:
'15 - 22 May 1937 Represented Germany at the Spithead Naval Review, England, on the occasion of the Coronation of the British King George VI.'

http://www.deutschland-class.dk/admiral ... _hist.html
Don't worry, be crazy ;]
Luftmann

Post by Luftmann »

Thanks for the info.

As Graf Spee was operatioal in Spanish waters prior to the Spithead review it seems most likely that she visited Dublin on her was back to Keil.

Thanks again.
xavier
Contributor

Post by xavier »

a pic of the Spee ont he review can be found here:
best regards
Xavier
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
wdragon

Graf Spee in Dublin

Post by wdragon »

Sorry to spoil a childhood memory but there is no record of the Graf Spee visiting Dublin. With a draught of over 26 feet it is highly unlikely that she could ever have done so.
In 1938 the pre-deadnough Schleswig-Holstein visited Eire and was anchored off Dun Laoghaire, possibly this was the vessel you were taken to visit?

Regards

David