Troop transporter going down

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Erika

Troop transporter going down

Post by Erika »

My father was on a troop transporter when it was hit. It went down and of the 300 souls on board only 10 were fished out of the water, of these only three survived (my father among them).

All I know is that it happened in February, that he was in the water for about 20 minutes and that it happened in the North Sea (Channel).

I would love to know the name of the ship, and any other details availble. I do not know the year in which this happened (only that it was in February), but here is where he was in February of any given year:

Marine-Flak-Abteilung 211, or
3. Flugmeldeabteilung

He also was in the following
1942 - Marine-Flak-Abteilung 251 and 211, and Funkmessbattrie der Stabsabteilung I, Marine-Flak-Brigade
1943 - Marineflakschule I
1943 - 51./5. Funkmesslehrabteilung and Marine-Flak-Abteilung 241.
1944 - 3. Flugmeldeabteilung and Marine-Flak-Abteilung 702.

Any help appreciated.

ERika
hubertus
Supporter

Post by hubertus »

Maybe "Wolfram" sunk 10.02.42. off Ameland.
Erika

Wolfram - Kriegsmarine

Post by Erika »

Hi Hubertus,

Where can I find out more about Wolfram? I tried to check on Google (both the german and english sites) and can't seem to find anything. Is there a list somewhere I can check to see which troops were on board?

Thanks in advance,

Erika
hubertus
Supporter

Post by hubertus »

Hi Erika,

Sorry i have no more on Wolfram, maybe others on this forum could help.

Herb.
Erika

Wolfram

Post by Erika »

Thanks, Herb....

Erika
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Hi Erika

Saw this...
I tried to check on Google (both the german and english sites) and can't seem to find anything. Is there a list somewhere I can check to see which troops were on board?
and said to myself "this can't be true"!

She, the "Wolfram" is mentioned here: http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/woermann.htm

might be a help for starters :wink:

waleed
Erika

The Wolfram

Post by Erika »

Hi Waleed,

Many thanks for the pointer to that site... I spend rather a long time looking for something on the Wolfram, but never got to this site. Much appreciated.

Now... the next question. Is there a site you know of that gives more information on the ships that were sunk? Ideally, who they were carrying?
Can I find out anywhere about how many survivors there were? My sister believes that it carried 300 souls, of which 10 were picked out of the water and 3 survived... My own memory plays around with the numbers of 2 and 8... 800 on board, 20 survived... or 200 on board, 80 survived.... I wish I had listened better when my father talked...

Erika