Searching for my grandfathers unit

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Anton

Post by Anton »

I have a lot of pics from friends of the family. This one I thought might be interesting as the writing on the back say something.

and on the back

It reads:
Zum Andenken from deiner Kameraden fra Kraftf. Komp ??? Rhöjt ??
can´t read out the name maby Ellö Kataiyek
4 August 43.

Picture was developed by Lichtbildwerkstatt ILSE MACHTANS
Gotenhafen, Adolf-Hitler - Str 59 Ruf 5406

That is consistent with the notion that he served 24.03.1943 - 13.04.1945 Marinekraftfahrkompanie Gotenhafen

Funny that they send so many pictures of each other, even males. And that they kept them. I mean I only have pics of my girlfriends...
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Anton,

The fact that the photo was developed in "Gotenhafen" is itself a historical curiosity.

"Gotenhafen" was the former Polish city of Gdynia and only existed under that name from 1939-45. It had been developed from a tiny fishing village of a few hundred inhabitants into an entirely new all-Polish port of 125,000 people between 1921 and 1939. As it was so recently built, it was thus of absolutely undeniably Polish origin and had no native German population. However, In 1939-40 large number of Baltic Germans were settled there and the Polish population was largely expelled.

Cheers,

Sid.
Anton

Post by Anton »

Wow thanks. I did not even check where Gotenhafen where. That means he was extremely close to home in Danzig. I have been in Danzig many times the past years and of course also in Gdyna. They labele it the three city area with Danzig, Gdyna and Zoppot, as they are in the same vincity. Theese days Gdynas only fame is its brothels... :wink:

For peace sake, if there are any polacks around, I must admit that both Gdyna and Danzig are of polish origin. Gdanzk is not only the current, but an older name of the town and is suspected of meaning "The danish villiage". But that was way back in viking times. It to was a small fisher village until the German Knight Order came and made it a german city. Danzig is a german name made of the polish one and not the other way around as can be read in german history books. I love Poland. :D