"Milk Cow" Resupply subs

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
JeffF.
Contributor

"Milk Cow" Resupply subs

Post by JeffF. »

Up to what year did these resupply type u-boats operate? I understand they resupplied u-boats at sea with torpedoes, fuel and supplies. I assume that at some point in the Atlantic Campaign they became untenable? Did these supply subs operate in '42 and after?
thanks,
Jeff
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

I would assume that the milk cows had operated up to at least 1943.

Cordially,

Freiritter
Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.
Danny
Contributor

Post by Danny »

Well the last Milk Cow (U-490 Oblt. Wilhelm Gerlach) was sunk on June 12 1944.

The Milkcows weren´t regarded untenable, but all were sunk (10 Milk Cows).

For more info on the Milk Cows take a look here:

http://www.uboat.net/types/milkcows.htm

Regards

Danny
JeffF.
Contributor

Milk Cows

Post by JeffF. »

Danny,

Good article, looks like Allied anti-sub measures made them too dangerous to use from '43 on according to the article.

they must have been huge to support so many subs in one cruise.

thanks for the site,

Jeff
Danny
Contributor

Post by Danny »

Your welcome, I love the site.

The Milk Cows were quite big, I have a book with a picture of both a Milk Cow and a VIIC next to each other (both returning from patrol), the upper deck of the empty Milk Cow is nearly as high as the VIIC´s coning tower.

Just to compare the facts: the total displacement of a VIIC was 1070 tons (total) and of the Milk Cow 2300 tons (total).

Regards

Danny
behblc
Associate

Cows

Post by behblc »

The film footage of these subs. on station supplying other boats is food for thought , the size does indeed dwarf the smaller VII's and the actual resupply process of fuel torpedos and foodstuffs etc on the open sea must have been quite an undertaking.
What sort of training and preparation of the crews ?
Once tied together by the fuel line the appearance of Allied forces must have been not worth thinking about , total ruin especially if aircraft turned up.

As far as I am aware they were developed and came into service without the knowledge of the Allies.
No small investment , the build time from keel up and the training of the crews ....the loss of all boats must have made Donitz think again that the enigma system was compromised.
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

" The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. " Wilfred Owen (M.C.).
Danny
Contributor

Post by Danny »

I don´t know of specific training, but it must have been inevitable.
What I do recall having read, is, that all commanders of the Milk Cows were rather experienced and compared to the average combat U-Boot commander quite old.

The probably most famous Milk Cow commander was:

Georg von Wilamowitz-Moellendorf
Born on 7 Nov, 1893 in Weimar.
Crew IV/12. Korvettenkapitän (1 Jun, 1942)
Died on 24 Jul, 1943, north-west of Cape Ortegal.
Commands:
U-2, U-459

Look at the date of his birth: 1893! If you compare to combat commanders, most of them were born in the 1910s and 1920s.

or

Ebe Schnoor
Born on 22 Jun, 1895.
Kapitänleutnant (1 Jan, 1943)
Died on 4 Oct, 1943, North Atlantic.
Commands:
UA, U-460

(From http://www.uboat.net)

Regards

Danny
Patrick
Enthusiast

Post by Patrick »

I'd read Doenitz's memoirs many years ago, which were published before the existence of Ultra was released to the public. As I recall, he didn't think that Enigma was compromised but rather that spies were forwarding info to the Allies.
Cheers,

Patrick

When I was single, I had three theories on raising children. Now I have three children and no theories.
behblc
Associate

Commanders.

Post by behblc »

Some video footage I have does show the commander of a Milch cow and as you rightly say Danny a much older man than the average commander.

I am relying on memory alone which is often faulty Patrick ( and I am quite happy to be put right !) but I think Donitz did question as to the code security and was told " impossible" , he did as you say look for leaks in other quarters and did really limit the information flow to "need to know only" and cut down staff numbers to the bare minium.
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

" The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. " Wilfred Owen (M.C.).
greenhorn
Contributor

Post by greenhorn »

Didn't the Japanese have humungous resupply subs? Didn't one class a hangar in front of the conning for a seaplane?
Banzai!
sigrun
Supporter

Post by sigrun »

greenhorn wrote:Didn't the Japanese have humungous resupply subs? Didn't one class a hangar in front of the conning for a seaplane?
Don't know about resupply status, but they certainly had some large subs undoubtedly capable of carrying stores and fuel as well as ordnance.

In May of 1942, the five involved in the offensive raid on Sydney harbour carried not only a reconnaissance seaplane, but several midget submarines which attempted to sink the heavy cruiser USS Chicago at moorage there.

http://www.naa.gov.au/Publications/fact ... fs192.html
tigre
Patron

Re: "Milk Cow" Resupply subs

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; after a while...........................

Supply at sea of ​​U 129.

U 129, under Kplt. Hans-Ludwig Witt, left Lorient on May 20, 1942. The U-boat operated in the North Atlantic, the Caribbean and the Greater Antilles. She was supplied on August 3, 1942 by U 463 with 40 m³ of fuel and 2 weeks of provisions. U 129 was able to sink 11 ships with 41,570 GRT in this patrol. After 93 days, sailing some 13,800 nm on the surface and 618 nm submerged, U 129 returned to Lorient on August 21, 1942.

Sources: http://www.ebay.de/itm/U-Boot-U-129-Beg ... 0009.m1982
http://www.ubootarchiv.de/ubootwiki/index.php/U_129

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
Encounter on the high seas with U 129 during the latter's 5th Patrol (according to the source)...............
Encounter on the high seas with U 129 during the latter's 5th Patrol (according to the source)...............
image005.jpg (17.79 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.