Hello to all
; after a while a little complement.........................
Prototypes and first production versions.
In January 1936 the DVL/Experimental Aerody-namics Institute conducted wind tunnel tests on a Bf 109-type design with two wing-mounted engines, a precursor to the Bf 110. On May 12, 1936 Dr. Hermann Wurster made the first test flight of the Messerschmitt Bf 110V1 (WNr. 868). The plane had a slender, elliptical fuselage that thinned near the top. Structurally it was built in similar fashion to the single-engine Bf 109; two monocoque halves joined by flush threads. The skin was attached by inward bent edges that became formers when attached to the neighboring pieces. The monocoque construction was heavier than traditional semi-monocoque but significantly simplified mass production by allowing the mounting of internal parts and equipment before the two halves were assembled.
Fixed guns were mounted in the nose. Aft of these was located the fully glazed cockpit cabin with the pilot and crew in tandem. Behind the pilot, radio and navigation equipment could be operated from a small seat. Further aft was located the gunner’s station. Aft of the cabin were oxygen bottles and in the rear of the fuselage was a set of gyro-magnetic compasses. A retractable tail wheel was mounted on a fork attached to a VDM type strut with a spring shock absorber and a 350x135 mm tire.
The wings were semi-monocoque, single-spar, all-duralumin, trapezoid in shape with leading edge slats, slightly rounded edges and slight dihedral. Technologically the wings were related to those of the Bf 109. The single spar passed through the fuselage and was attached to its main steel beam as well as to two support beams. The engine nacelles were attached to the wings and housed the main landing gear as well as the engine oil tanks. The main landing gear was hydraulically controlled and when in the stowed position the wheels protruded slightly from the nacelles. The main wheels were attached to oleo struts with axles pointing towards the wingtips, with pneumatic drum brakes. 815x320 mm tires were used. The fuel tanks were mounted between the fuselage and the engine nacelles.
The tail control surfaces were all-duralumin, single spar semi-monocoque construction with double tail fins which gave the rear gunner a better field of view.
The aircraft was powered by two in-line, liquid-cooled, Junkers Jumo 210B engines with a displacement of 19.7 liters and a take-off rating of 600 hp each (max. 5 min.). Thanks to a supercharger the engine was able to attain top performance at 2,700 meters where it had a top rating of 640 hp (max. 5 min.), 575 hp (max. 30 min.) and 510 hp (continuous). Propellers were the two-blade self-adjusting Hamilton Standard type.
Compared to later prototypes, the V1 had a bulkier nose, flatter canopy for the rear gunner and more angular tail fins. The Bf 110V1 was mainly a test-bed for the engines and for testing the design in flight. The airplane was unarmed and its handling in flight was good with some difficulties during low speed flight. The biggest drawback were the weak engines which were unable to push the plane past 450 km/h. In October 1937 the plane was assigned the code D-AHOA and handed over to Erprobungsstelle Travemünde.
Messerschmitt Bf 110 vol. II. Kagero.
Cheers. Raúl M
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.