Help with JU88 details

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
Little Ray

Help with JU88 details

Post by Little Ray »

Hi there. I have posted here in the hope that some one can help me or tell me where to contact for more detail help with plane details that belonged to the german air force on the Russian front. I have the ID plates off a JU88 air frame and the ID plate off the engine of the same plane and can any member tell me how to trace this plane so I can find out who was the pilot.
Carsten Petersen

Post by Carsten Petersen »

Well, either you can travel to Freiburg in Breigau (Germany) and spend a couple of weeks in the archive going through thousands and thousands of cards or you can post the number on the net (TOCH or here) and get some help from a lot of people.
Little Ray

JU88 data

Post by Little Ray »

Sorry I did not put this up in the first message but I was only hopeing for directions.
The first plate reads.. Henschel Flugzeug-werke Lizenz Junkers..
Best. Nr 5453418 Zeichn. Nr 88123-28 Typ U Grp JU88 A4
Kontr which has a circle with the number 339 in it and the henschel badge

The second plate which is off the engine reads ..Stoewer-Motor Typ: AW2
Vergaser Einstenung Fur Kraftstoff OZ 74 Vergasertyp 35BFLZ

Lufttricher 27 Hauptduse 135-56 Leerlaufduse.0.55
Startbrennstorfduse 160 Startluftduse 4,5
Zundeinstellung im oberen Totpunk??????
I hope this is of some help...Ray
Pauly

Re: Help with JU88 details

Post by Pauly »

Hi Ray,

Although your note is 10 years ago, I came across it by accident today. And if you are still interested I can at least tell you what one of the plates is about.

The Stoewer named plate is from a military vehicle and not an aeroplane, the car is the Stoewer lepkw field car using the AW2 engine and Solex 35 BFLV (not BFLZ) carburettor. OZ 74 is the level of fuel octane (74) used in vehicles of the day.

I own one of these vehicles and it has this very same plate, attached under the engine bonnet.

Anyway, late this data may be but hope it is still of interest to you.

regards paul