Books -LW & the War at Sea - recommended?(German)

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
David Isby

Books -LW & the War at Sea - recommended?(German)

Post by David Isby »

I am interested in any recommendations for books in English or German (especially) on the Luftwaffe and the War at Sea. This includes the Battle of the Atlantic (anti-shipping, U-boat support), the Russian convoys, Norway 1940 and the air-sea campaign in the Mediteranean 1940-44.

Thanks
David Isby
Mitch Williamson

Post by Mitch Williamson »

Here are some:

* Peter C. Smith, "The Sea Eagles: The Luftwaffe's Maritime
Operations,1939-1945" Stackpole Books. (Vol.17 from LW-at-War Series). ISBN 1-85367-442-7. Excellent photo coverage, including color plates.

* Adam R.A. Claasen, "Hitler's Northern War: The Luftwaffe's Ill-Fated
Campaign, 1940-1945," Univ Pr of Kansas; ISBN: 0700610502. Extensively covers LW maritime air-war in the north, incl. convoy strikes.

* Karl Born, "Rettung zwischen den Fronten, Seenotdienst der deutschen
Luftwaffe 1939-1945" Mitler u.S., 1996; ISBN 3813207560. ('Rescue between the fronts. Sea-air rescue of the German luftwaffe...').

* Volkmar Kuhn, "Der Seenotdienst der deutschen Luftwaffe: 1939-1945 : d. dramat. Einsatz e. Handvoll Manner fur Freund u. Feind," Stuttgart : Motorbuch-Verlag, 1978. (: 'the dramatic operations of a handful of men in service of friend and enemy')

Regards
Mitch
Mitch Williamson

Post by Mitch Williamson »

One More

In Sönke Neitzel’s book “Der Einsatz der deutschen Luftwaffe über dem Atlantik und der Nordsee 1939-1945”, includes some very good information about KG 40 and it operation environment.

Regards
Mitch
otachel

I agree with Mitch

Post by otachel »

If you can read German, Buy Neitzel's book. It is a very serious book on Lufwaffe operations, heavily footnoted and full of extremely valuable maps. In fact, personally, I consider it the best operational history ever written about a Luftwaffe theatre of operations. There are no anedoctes, however. If you are interested in that, I suggest Chris Goss's Bloody Biscay: the History of V Gruppe/Kampfgeswader 40 , the fighter component of KG 40. Goss has also recently published another book about Luftwaffe's seaplanes, but it is mainly just pictures.

Otavio