aircraft fuselage markings KG 26 (white band)

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
Andre Chissel

aircraft fuselage markings KG 26 (white band)

Post by Andre Chissel »

Dear Sirs,

I am researching KG 26 in the mediterranean in late 1942. Some photos I see of the He 111s and Ju 88s in KG 26 of the period have a white band circling the body of the fuselage near the tail section but some do not. Why did and what determined whether an aircraft of KG 26 had a white band on the aircraft or not please ?

Andre :?:
Andre Chissel
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: aircraft fuselage markings KG 26 (white band)

Post by fridgeman »

This was done to identify friendly machines in the air. During air battle over britain, germans colored whole nose or
parts of the wings yellow, to make it easier to identify enemy or friend in short time. Of course for the enemy this
was practical too.

Later in war the markings became smaller, usually a painted ring around the belly of the aircraft, or around the wings.
White markings were used mostly in mediterranean/africa, yellow marking later on east front.
I cant tell you why not all machines on your picture have this markings, my guess would be that they are marked different maybe,
some on belly, some on wings, some on tail.

Check this page for more details and pictures, sadly its german language, but maybe google translate will help you.
http://www.angelfire.com/pr/jg53/s4a.htm

greets
Andre Chissel

Post by Andre Chissel »

Many thanks ! Just what I was after and so much more ! Danke !!
Andre Chissel
Andrew Arthy

Post by Andrew Arthy »

Hi,

Just to add to the previous answer, most of Kampfgeschwader 26 only transferred to the Mediterranean in November 1942 after Operation TORCH had occurred, so if your photos date from late-1942, it is quite possible that the aircraft without fuselage bands were new arrivals, and there hadn't been time to apply the theatre markings yet.

Cheers,
Andrew A.