stirling crash vechta

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
ptong

stirling crash vechta

Post by ptong »

Does anyone have any information on a Stirling bomber AA-R9247 "W" which crashed on or near Vechta airfield on the night of 17th December 1942? I believe there was an eyewitness and later a Red Cross report. My uncle was the wireless operator in the crew.
Simon H
Associate

Re: stirling crash vechta

Post by Simon H »

Have you already seen this elsewhere?

"The following is an excerpt from my trilogy 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915' (Volume One: Fates 1915-1942):

Thu 17/Fri 18 Dec 1942
Bomber Command
Raid on the Opel works at Fallersleben, Germany (by 22 aircraft - 8 lost)...

...75 (NZ) Squadron, RAF (Newmarket, Suffolk - 3 Group)
Stirling I R9247/W - took off at approximately 1745-1817 captained by Flt Sgt H E Rousseau, RAF, on same raid as the above, and brought down over Germany, crashing near Vechta, killing the seven crew. With the possible exception of the captain, they were buried at Vechta, but all were later reinterred at Rheinberg, 12km south of Wesel.
Navigator: NZ404895 Plt Off Mervyn Oliver CLARK, RNZAF - Age 20.
Wireless Op: NZ412342 Sgt Christopher James KENDAL, RNZAF - Age 21. 293hrs. 16th op.
Rear Gunner: NZ411777 Sgt Henry Welsh PULLAR, RNZAF - Age 25. 213hrs. 3rd op."

Hope it helps.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
ptong

Post by ptong »

Thanks, yes I have this book - it's a great resource
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Ptong,
Geoff Reeve, email:

[email protected]

He tells me that he has some information for you. Please contact him directly as he has been unable to register on Feldgrau.

Kind Regards,
Simon
Simon Harrold

ptong

Post by ptong »

Thanks, will do
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Thanks for getting in touch with him. Please don't forget to let us know how your research continues.

Best,
Simon.
Simon Harrold

ptong

Post by ptong »

Since getting in touch with a Feldgrau member last year I've obtained a lot of information about the fate of R9247. This aircraft was shot down by a fighter from Vechta airfield after dropping its bombs on the small town of Vechta and crashed at the airfield. The crew were initially buried in Vechta cemetery with full military honours including a guard from the airfield. Thanks to everyone who sent information which I can provide to anyone else interrested in the journey of Stirling R9247.
Pamc

Post by Pamc »

Hi, I am very interested to contact ptong and to find out the details of the Vechta crash of 9247 on 17/12/42 that he has - or anyone else has.
My uncle Henry Pullar was the rear gunner, and sadly very little has been passed on about his death.

Regards, Pam
ptong

Post by ptong »

Hi Pam, The WOP on this crew, Jim Kendal, was my uncle. The Stirling R9247 AA-W crashed on the airfield at Vechta when on its way to Fallersleben. They were probably hit by a German fighter from 1/NJG 3 based at Vechta as there is a record of one hitting a Stirling bomber at 900 metres at 1956 hours at "flugplatz Vechta" In "Luftwaffe Night Fighter Combat Claims 1939-1945" by Foreman, John et al. This was probably the bomber which flew over the city and dropped bombs resulting in casualties and building damage. The crew was initially buried in the Protestant Forest Cemetery in Vechta with full military honours. I've written a paper on my uncle's life including his time in Canada at RCAF Winnipeg. I'm in Australia at the moment but will be in Wellington in July if you're there
regards
Pam Tong
Pamc

Post by Pamc »

Thanks very much for replying Pam, its very interesting and satisfying to know what actually happened, but its also very sad.
We live in Toowoomba, Queensland, is that anywhere near where you are?
Cheers, Pam