Invisible planes? Cellon?

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
fridgeman
Supporter

Invisible planes? Cellon?

Post by fridgeman »

Recently i red something about german projects in WW1, to construct planes with a covering of a transparent synthetic material called Cellon.
That should made them nearly invisible in the sky. I also found out the material was used by Walter Horten in his experimental "blended wing body" aircrafts.
Has anyone more information about these projects to camouflage planes with transparent synthetic hulls, in WW1 and/or WW2?
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: Invisible planes? Cellon?

Post by phylo_roadking »

Not necessarily German, but there was a well-recorded Russian project to do the same...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Liam
Enthusiast

Post by Liam »

I seem to recall that a German aircraft manufactured by Linke Hoffman was constructed in this way. I certainly saw an illustration of it in a book and the 'invisible' properties being discussed in the text.
Hitler...there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!! Mel Brooks, The Producers
Schultz
Contributor

Post by Schultz »

Not WW1 but thought someone may find this of interest, I did a little of the woodwork on this for Mr. Frank as well as some work on various engines and some on his Ford Tri-motor restoration project.

http://www.radialengines.com/aircraft_p ... index.html
"There ain't no sanity clause" The Damned