Stuka ju87 question

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
jmeixner

Stuka ju87 question

Post by jmeixner »

Does anyone know of a Stuka that is still flying today anywhere in the world?
Jason Long
Contributor

Post by Jason Long »

I'm certain that no Stuka is in flying condition. And there aren't very many surviving at any rate, possibly as few as 2.

Jason
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Hi. Sadly, its a definite no. There are many, many restored warbirds flying around the world, more every year and some exciting replicas coming online - FW190 shortnose AND Dora, ME262 etc - but the problem with loosing a war is someone takes all you expensive aeroplanes away for scrap lol lol

Phylo
nachtjager

Stuka

Post by nachtjager »

There are only two complete Stukas in museum's,one at Hendon,London(a G) and one in chicago (a B),there are numerous parts in other museums.A collector in England has a genuine Stuka undergoing restoration to flying condition along with a Fw190D-9. :D
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

The one in Chicago is in the Museum of Science and Industry. As a boy, I remember it hanging suspended from the ceiling in the entrance hall. BTW, that museum also houses the U505.

Regards,

Helmut
Polish Ace

Post by Polish Ace »

ya I live in chicago and I went to the the science and industry muesuem yesterday and its still there .The U-505 is underground now and it they have cases for the torpedos that it was carring and they turn on the diesel engines witch is very cool
jmeixner

thanks

Post by jmeixner »

thanks for the info, if I ever have the cahnce to get to Chicago, I'll .go see the Stuka, it's too bad there aren't more around, what a wonderful machine
Spandau
Contributor

Post by Spandau »

Jason Long wrote:I'm certain that no Stuka is in flying condition. And there aren't very many surviving at any rate, possibly as few as 2.

Jason
Avete,

:( :(

Valete,

-Spandau
If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze into you.
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Talking of Hendon museum, it's a bit tucked away from the centre of town, but it's well worth the visit - on the axis front they not only have the stuka (seems to have some sort of 'tankbuster' marking on it, but no underwing cannon?), and if I remember correctly, a fw190 trainer version, an HE111, a Ju88, a night figher me110 and a volksjager. oh and an italian wwII period biplane, forget the make and model - fiat something possibly? of course being the raf museum, the brit stuff on display there is a dream. not sure if it's their usual policy, but last time i went there was able to duck in free, it might have been some sort of special occasion tho...
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Been thirty years since I was there as a kid, but can confirm the distance from the town centre - a long walk from the nearest Underground station! lol At the time I loved it for its remarkbale model collection for those interested in that, an approx 1/72 model of EVERY plane in service in ANY numbers with the RFC, RAF and RNAS and Fleet Air Arm. A LOT of these were scratchbuilt as kits of them didnt and still dont exist. I love and admire that level of creativity.

phylo