Flieghorst Kommandatur

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Flieghorst Kommandatur

Post by Abel Ravasz »

Hi,

I'd need data on the structure and numerical strength of a Flieghorst Kommandatur for early 1943. Otherwise said: how many man could a such HQ provide for an ad-hoc ground combat unit?
The function of such a unit is not fully clear to me either so a brief explanation would be great.

Thanks,

Abel
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Abel -

The question of the composition and personnel strength of Fliegerhorstkommandanturen is not easy to answer. If you could provide the identity of the Fl.H.Kdtr. (its number, exact location and the exact date) I could probably give you more precise information. Below is some general information. Regarding personnel strength, a Fl.H.Kdtr. A operating outside of the Reich in early 1943 had anywhere from 350 to 700 personnel, while a Fl.H.Kdtr. E(v) operating outside of the Reich in early 1943 had anywhere from 180 to 350 personnel.

Kriegsstärkennachweisungen (KStN’s)

1304 a (L): Fliegerhorstkommandantur A(o) [Air Force Station Command A (static)]
1304 e (L): Fliegerhorstkommandantur E(v) [Air Force Station Command E (transferable)]
1305 (L): Fliegerhorstkommandantur E(mot) [Air Force Station Command E (motorized)]
1307 a (L): Flugplatzkommando A [Airfield Detachment A]
1307 b (L): Flugplatzkommando B [Airfield Detachment B]
1307 c (L): Flugplatzkommando C [Airfield Detachment C]
1307 d (L): Flugplatzkommando D (See) [Airfield Detachment D (Sea)]

The typical medium and large Fliegerhorstkommandantur in 1943 and thereafter had all or most of the following components:

Organic to the Air Base
- Fliegerhorstkp. (Air Base Co.)
- Gruppe Verwaltung (Administrative Gp. )
- Ln.Stelle (Signals Section)
- Wetterstelle (Weather Section)
- Lw.-Sanitätsstaffel (Medical Section), and/or Lw.-Krankenrevier (Dispensary)
- Lw. Zahnstation (Dental Clinic)
- Flugleitung (Air Traffic Control)
- Bildstelle (Photographic Section)
- Munitionsverwaltung (Munitions Administration)
- Flieger-Techn.Verwaltung (Air Technical Administration)
- Betriebs-Techn.Gruppe (Technical Operations Gp. )
- Fliegerhorst Werft (Air Base Workshops)
- Feuerschutzeinheit (Fire Fighting Section)
- Bomben-Übungs-u.Schiessplatz (Bomb and Gunnery Range)

Attached to the Air Base (as required)
- Flughafen-Betriebskp.(Qu) (Airfield Servicing Co.(Quartermaster))
- Werft-Abteilung oder -züge (Workshop Detachment or Platoons)
- Lw.Bergekp. (Salvage Co.)
- Landesschützeneinheiten (Guard units)
- Lw.-Baueinheiten (Construction units)
- Transportkolonnen (Transport Columns)
- Flugbetriebsstoffkolonnen (Aviation Fueling Columns)
- Traktorenzüge d.Lw. (Air Force Tractor Platoons)

(Note: these “attached” units were only attached to the Fliegerhorstkommandantur if and when needed, and only in the quantity needed. For example, most air bases had only occasional call for salvage, construction and transport units, and most of the air bases located in Germany used civilian guards rather than uniformed Luftwaffe guard units.)

[Source: Qu/Luftgaukdo. XIV instructions, 6 Dec 1944, in NARA WashDC: RG 242 (T-971 roll 34/0554-56.]

--Lorenz
Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Post by Abel Ravasz »

Hi Lorenz,

thanks for the answer.

I am trying to gather a little more data on the engagement of air force support personnel at Pawlograd.

At another forum, it has been suggested that "some hundreds Luftwaffe personnel of an airport (under the command of Oberstlt. Weckerle)" were involved in the battle.

Fliegerhorst-Kommandantur E 8/I, commanded by Major Josef Weckerle, was at Pavlograd during the given timeframe (2/43 - 3/43), so I am almost fully sure that in this case, the air base personnel at Pawlograd was "mobilized" under the command of Weckerle. What I am trying to ascertain is that how many man could have these "some hundreds" approximately be. Your answer suggests 350 to 700.

Is there any chance for You to be able to ascertain the Landesschützen and Lw Bau units attached to this "airfield"?

(BTW, Pawlograd was mostly unused as a combat airfield at this time (19-22/2/43). A few days later, II./Schlachtgeschwader 1 and III./Jagdgeschwader 3 "Udet" arrived, but at the time, no air combat units seem to be present).

Thanks,

Abel
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Hello Abel -

Yes, it was definitely Fl.H.Kdtr. E(v) 8/I (Obstlt. Weckerle) at Pavlograd.

I checked my data on all of the Lw.-Bau-Btle. in South Russia in March 1943 (all or parts of 37 of them) but none show any personnel losses in or near Pavlograd at that time. The same applies to the Ldssch.-Einheiten.

The Lw.-Bodenorganisation units were very fragmented at that time so there is no way of telling who was there. The Luftwaffe records, of course, were mostly destroyed in early May 1945, so there is no way of finding out exactly which units had personnel at the Pavlograd airfield.

--Lorenz
Abel Ravasz
Contributor

Post by Abel Ravasz »

Hi Lorenz,

thanks for Your efforts. At least the identity of the FlHK has been confirmed.

Abel