Born of the Luftwaffe?

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
leopard 2
Supporter

Born of the Luftwaffe?

Post by leopard 2 »

Hi forum

I'd like to know when exactly the Luftwaffe was created: 26th february or 1st march 1935? (I'va also seen 9th march but I think it's a mistake).
Göring is oftne referd as chief of the Luftwaffe on 1st march...
???
Thanks
Adam
Supporter

Post by Adam »

Leopard,
The first official use of the term 'Luftwaffe" was in October 1929 when the Inspekteur der Waffenschule, under Generalmajor Hilmar Ritter von Mittleberger, became (secretly) Inspektion der Waffenschulen und der Luftwaffe. However, when you ask of the "creation", what do you mean exactly? The first of March 1935 was the official day of recognition as this was the day that Hitler announced the new German Air Force to the world, but this does not necessarily mean 1 March 1935 was the official creation date. As stated, the term Luftwaffe was in existance long before this and German air power did not, depsite the Allied powers best efforts at the end of World War One, disappear until this time, either.
Perhaps the answer is open to discussion. Does the bestowment of the term 'Luftwaffe' in 1929 signal the official creation of the force, or does the Luftwaffe merely emerge in a blurred and non-definable sense from the remnants of the Luftstreitkräfte and the Freikorps air sqaudrons in a sort of continuation on a theme, or, finally, is the official creation day the day of announcement in 1935? All answers have merit, and all, no doubt, have their adherents.

Not much help, I know - but it may prove worthwhile somewhere along the line.

Adam
Adam
Supporter

Post by Adam »

Leopard,
The first official use of the term 'Luftwaffe" was in October 1929 when the Inspekteur der Waffenschule, under Generalmajor Hilmar Ritter von Mittleberger, became (secretly) Inspektion der Waffenschulen und der Luftwaffe. However, when you ask of the "creation", what do you mean exactly? The first of March 1935 was the official day of recognition as this was the day that Hitler announced the new German Air Force to the world, but this does not necessarily mean 1 March 1935 was the official creation date. As stated, the term Luftwaffe was in existance long before this and German air power did not, depsite the Allied powers best efforts at the end of World War One, disappear until this time, either.
Perhaps the answer is open to discussion. Does the bestowment of the term 'Luftwaffe' in 1929 signal the official creation of the force, or does the Luftwaffe merely emerge in a blurred and non-definable sense from the remnants of the Luftstreitkräfte and the Freikorps air sqaudrons in a sort of continuation on a theme, or, finally, is the official creation day the day of announcement in 1935? All answers have merit, and all, no doubt, have their adherents.

Adam
Adam
Supporter

Post by Adam »

Leopard,
The first official use of the term 'Luftwaffe" was in October 1929 when the "Inspekteur der Waffenschule", under Generalmajor Hilmar Ritter von Mittleberger, became (secretly) "Inspektion der Waffenschulen und der Luftwaffe". However, when you ask of the "creation", what do you mean exactly? The first of March 1935 was the official day of recognition as this was the day that Hitler announced the new German Air Force to the world, but this does not necessarily mean 1 March 1935 was the official creation date. As stated, the term Luftwaffe was in existance long before this and German air power did not, depsite the Allied powers best efforts at the end of World War One, disappear until this time, either.

Adam