Runge and the Murders of Luxemburg and Liebknecht

German Freikorps, Reichsheer and Reichsmarine 1919-1934.
Rohrbach
Supporter

Runge and the Murders of Luxemburg and Liebknecht

Post by Rohrbach »

Hi,

Otto Runge was a soldier in Noske's Iron Brigade which was attached to the Horse Guard's Division. He was one of the sentries on duty at the hotel where Rosa Luxemburg and Karl Liebknecht were held the night that they were arrested. As each Spartacist leader was being led from the hotel, Runge ran forward and hit them in the head with the butt of his rifle. However, Runge's effort was not the killing blow for Luxemburg or Liebknecht. They were murdered within the hour at separate points in Berlin.

The day following the murders, orders were sent out for the arrest of the perpetrators. Runge was apprehended a few days later with a false passport and other fake papers. He wrote a confession which stated taht he had orders to beat the Spartacist leaders to death.

The perpetrators were eventually brought to trial. One of the judges involved was then Lt. Wilhelm Canaris. Before the trial, Canaris held a mock trial at the prison in which the prisoners took part. They all rehearsed their stories. Runge is said to have been dim-witted and he required extra help to memorize his alibi. Runge received two years in prison and dismissal from the Freikorps for his role in the murders of Luxemburg and Liebknecht.

Does anyone have any information as to what became of Runge?

For Wolf: It is very interesting that your great grandfather was in the Freikorps knew Runge. What was your great grandfather's name? What can you tell us about his time in the Freikorps?

Rohrbach
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

His name was Bernard Kleinmann and knew Runge through the Korps and was present Runge trial.I believe Runge went on to join the S.A and was killed in the Night Of The Long Knives. :D
"What is a world without war"
Rohrbach
Supporter

Post by Rohrbach »

Hi Wolf,

Thank you for the response. When you write that Herr Kleinmann was present at the Runge trial, do you mean as a defendant or as an observer? Do you have any knowledge of Herr Kleinmann's participation in any campaigns while in the Freikorps?

Rohrbach
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

I think he was a defendent im not enirely sure.He took part in a number of Freikorps campaigns
"What is a world without war"
Rohrbach
Supporter

Post by Rohrbach »

Hi Wolf,

Thank you for the response. If I ever find any information on Bernard Kleinmann and the Freikorps I will pass it along to you.

Rohrbach