Mark Yerger's DKiG book?

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

heinz kling

Mark Yerger's DKiG book?

Post by heinz kling »

Has anyone bought the book? Is it worth all the hype?
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

What hype are you refering to? Or did you mean, is it worth it for all the research he's done?
heinz kling

Mark Yerger's DKiG book

Post by heinz kling »

I mean it was supposed to be the definitive book on the DKiG holders, as compared to other, mostly German ones, which just list the recipients with hardly any bio research.
Michael Miller / ABR
Author

Jawohl...

Post by Michael Miller / ABR »

It richly deserves any and all hype it gets. I had the privilege of seeing the manuscript and it is amazingly detailed and very well illustrated. I would not hesitate to call it the definitive work on the subject.

Regards,
~ Mike Miller
Axis Biographical Research
http://www.geocities.com/~orion47
"I am a historian before I am a Christian; my object is simply to find out how the things actually occurred."

~Leopold von Ranke, 19th Century German Historian
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Question Michael.

Does the book go in to detail about the reasons for each man's award? How much of a bio for each winner? Also, does it just deal with SS winners of the DKiG?

Thanks, Jerry

Alright, 3 questions!
When you're in command..... command!
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

The book

Post by Uncle Joe »

Go to http://www.bender-publishing.com, they have all the details concerning content. Well, not all. It does not mention paper quality. That should be mentioned as we are dealing with an illustrated study, what´s the point of illustrations if they´re printed on bread?

Jukka
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I don`t believe that anybody has ever been disappointed by any of Mark Yerger`s earlier publications. The amount of detailed information and original photos in the finished product is always second to none. The detailed descriptions of the justification for the award of the DKiG are action-packed. Bender´s printing and binding quality is first-rate. Anybody who liked Mark Yerger`s book on the German Cross in Silver will love this new series. Highly recommended.

John Moore
behblc
Associate

Look forward to seeing it.

Post by behblc »

I look forward to seeing Mark's book.
Regarding his book on Dk in Silver...not disappointed with the content of the book but was with Benders production of it , quality control was not good.
Having said that not aware of any "hype" , not something I associate with the author...never thought he depended on it !
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

" The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. " Wilfred Owen (M.C.).
Uncle Joe
Enthusiast

Yerger´s books

Post by Uncle Joe »

John, I asked about production quality for I have been told that his first book for Bender contained a series manufacturing defect in covers, a defect that could cause the cover to easily break off. I do have his 2 vols on W-SS commanders and they are certainly excellent, but considering the manure thrown at Schiffer I find it amazing that Bender got away witheir error so lightly (never mentioned here for example). Something stinks with this double standard.

Jukka
behblc
Associate

Subject.

Post by behblc »

When you consider the number of D.K.inG holders in any arm of the services , comprehensive volume on any one must be huge undertaking.
Given the high standard of M.Y's. previous material it should be worth waiting for.
Being critical is always easy ,different sotry if you are doing the leg work.
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Bender Quality

Post by John P. Moore »

Jukka,

It would appear to me that the binding quality of Bender`s books is not what it used to be. Looking at my copy of Yerger`s DKiS book I can see a lot of wear on the exterior spine and the text portion does not appear to be securely attached to the spine. Howeever, my copy has received a lot of use and I am more interested in content. When I compare that book to my copy of Bender`s "Uniforms, Organization and History of the Waffen-SS Vol. 1 printed in 1971 I see that the 1971 binding appears in near-new condition, despite a lot of use. The same can be said for about a dozen other Bender books that I have.

The DKiS book was printed in Korea. The quality of the text printing inside is consistently crisp with all charachters being properly inked and excellent reproduction of the photos.

John
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

The second round printing of the German Cross in Silver book resulted in better binding per the normal Bender quality. The 1st volume of SS/Police GC in Gold holders should be here in about 1 week. Delay due to examining and x-ray of all materials coming to the US from overseas, security due to 9/11 attacks have been put in place. Regards the comment regards "hype," I wasn't aware of any. Just finished a book and mentioned it. It does have more data than the books of name lists only released by Podzun and Patzwall.

Best
Mark
behblc
Associate

Hype

Post by behblc »

Mark....I think the "hype" was in the mind of the gent who started the thread, and his alone.
A.E. Housman.