Silesia, East Prussia, Pomerania 1944-1945

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Benoit Douville
Contributor

Post by Benoit Douville »

Halder,

I want to have some news concerning your work about the account of the German defeat in Pomerania, East Prussia and Silesia. Still a lot of work to do?

Regards
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Oh yes. It's a long, long-term project. At the moment I'm working on a book on the Polish, Norwegian and French campaigns (should be done in about three years hopefully), after that comes a book on the first four months of the Great War, followed either by the end on the Eastern Front or the North African campaign. That's my 30s and 40s taken care of. :D
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Vor
Contributor

Post by Vor »

I'm still interested...
Mike

Please Shed Light On Bautzen & Gorlitz

Post by Mike »

Herr Halder,
Please cover Schlesien in '45. I want to know about Festung Bautzen and the fall of Gorlitz. I was in the area in 2001 and in Gorlitz there was still the remains of a destroyed bridge on the Oder. The last battles of the Reich have always interested me.
Good Luck! I'll be the second to buy a copy.--Mike
Soldat7128
Supporter

Post by Soldat7128 »

I'd interested as well...my "uncle" (died 25 years before I was born) was killed around a place called Schönrade, in Pomerania. (That's about all I know.)
kordts
Supporter

Post by kordts »

Russ Schneider has done a book on this subject. It's called,"Gotterdammerung 1945, Germany's last stand in the East." I highly reccomend it.
Private Simpson's reference to Halder, "Die, Bart, Die!"

Cheers, Jeff.
Here dead lie we because we did not choose
To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose;
But young men think it is, and we were young.
Here Dead Lie We by A.E. Houseman
Benoit Douville
Contributor

Post by Benoit Douville »

Jeff,

Is this book available in english and where I can find it?

Regards
Doug Nash
Author

Best book on fighting in Pommerania

Post by Doug Nash »

If you're looking for the best book on what happened in Pommerania Jan - May 1945, you need to get a copy of Erich Murawski's "Die Eroberung Pommerns durch die Rote Armee." It's long out of print, but you can get it through ABE books if you are patient. It's all in German, but has good maps and covers events on the ground in great detail. It does a good job in describing the fighting that led to the Dramburg Pocket (a location I've visited) as well as the storming of the so-called Pommeranian Wall, aka the eastern equivalent of the Siegfried Line (the bunkers and fortifications were far larger and more grandiose that those in the west). Good luck! And Panzerbaer, if you're reading this, I'm correcting some of the more egregious errors in the second printing of Hell's Gate.
JägerMarty
Supporter

Re: Silesia, East Prussia, Pomerania 1944-1945

Post by JägerMarty »

halder wrote:Would anyone be interested in an English-language account of the German defeat in the East up to (and possibly including) Berlin from 1944-1945. I've just about wrapped up my book on Normandy and I'm toying with forthcoming projects. Next up will be an account of the German victories in Poland and the West 1939-1940, but after that I fancy doing one on the collapse of the Eastern Front.

I would be very intested in a detailed account of the battles and defeat in Pommern. My mothers family lived in a small town called Cammin, just north of Stettin. They all fled west ahead of the Russians, were overtaken by them, and they kept moving west eventually settling in Bremen.
I have a fair idea of what went on on the civilian side but a good factual account of the military operations there would be a great read.
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Are you able to read German ?Then I would recommend You Helmut Lindenblatts "Pommern 1945" .

Jan-Hendrik
Richard Hargreaves
Author

I'll second that; Pommern 1945 is outstanding.
JägerMarty
Supporter

Post by JägerMarty »

My German wouldn't be good enough for that I think, my dads Aussie so it wasn't spoken much at home.
I can get by conversationally, but reading German books is very heavy going for me. That's a shame, sounds like a good book, how wellillustrated is it? Still available?
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Jan-Hendrik wrote:Are you able to read German ?Then I would recommend You Helmut Lindenblatts "Pommern 1945" .

Jan-Hendrik
Servus,
Can you tell me which publishing house or distributor carris this book?
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Helmut
Richard Hargreaves
Author

There's a copy on abebooks for about $20. Well worth it.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Thank You

Regards,

Helmut