Cossack books

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

charlie don't surf
Associate

Cossack books

Post by charlie don't surf »

I've found the books 'Cossacks in the german army 1941-45' and 'Pannwitz's Cossacks 1942-45'. Are these books any good and how are the books (in terms of pictures, maps, text etc)?

regards
Sigurd Helge
Supporter

They are good...

Post by Sigurd Helge »

Charlie,
I saw those titles (Bender, right?) at the military library at FHS in Stockholm and they are top-notch. A lot of pics, plenty of informative text. Only thing not too good are the maps. As usual you'll have to find German "Munin" or "Podzun Pallas" books to get good map references.

Regards,
~Sigurd
charlie don't surf
Associate

Thanks Sigurd! the only good book shop I've been to in Stockholm is the one with a rest place in the middle, the room appears to be round shaped (do you know which one I mean). By your desription I'll think I buy one of these books the next time I order books from my store.

regards
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

Cossacks in the German Army is a good basic text, though quite overpriced. A decent out of print book with similar details is The Forgotten Axis, by J. Lee Ready. The Pannwitz Cossacks book is the best photographic coverage of the subject yet assembled, though you should note that most of the photographs involve the Cossack Corps in occupied Yogoslavia (taken by official German PK photographers, Heimdal found the captured photos in the French ECPA arcives). There is little coverage of Cossacks away from this theater of war.
charlie don't surf
Associate

Thank you for that information, Marc!

regards
Sigurd Helge
Supporter

Name of the Stockholm bookstore

Post by Sigurd Helge »

"Charlie",

It is "Mar-Gies" on Roslagsgatan. The lady who runs it is very good to deal with (though not particurlaly into military history, she must have someone in her staff who runs the military part!).
Mind you she is quite expensive and I rarely buy any books there anymore. The net is a better (and cheaper!) place.

Regards,
~Sigurd