NEW BOOK! -- The Battle of the Wolchow Kessel in Primary German Documents, Volume I

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Maus
Supporter

NEW BOOK! -- The Battle of the Wolchow Kessel in Primary German Documents, Volume I

Post by Maus »

I would like to announce the release of the book The Battle of the Wolchow Kessel in Primary German Documents, Volume I, and the accompanying Wolchow Kessel Operational Battle Map Set. A description of the book:

"In January of 1942 the Soviets launched an offensive against the German 18. Army in the area of the Wolchow River.  Their goal was nothing short of the total destruction of the 18. Army.  The Soviets managed to drive a large wedge into the German lines, measuring some 75 km in depth.  The harsh terrain and stiffening German resistance eventually brought the offensive to a halt, well short of their intended goal.  By May of 1942 the Germans were ready to launch a counterattack to reduce the bulge in their lines. 
For the first time in English, the German actions during the battle of the Wolchow Kessel (as the battle to reduce the Soviet bulge in the German lines became known) are brought into the light by translating the original German reports.  The translated reports include the following:

XXXVIII. Armee Korps Orders
XXXVIII. Armee Korps Daily Reports to 18. Armee
XXXVIII. Armee Korps Kriegsgliederung
XXXVIII. Armee Korps War Diary
XXXVIII. Armee Korps Morning/Interim/Daily Reports

The book also includes an extensive German/English glossary and appendixes.  This is the first volume of a multi-volume work on the Battle of the Wolchow Kessel which aims to translate most of the German military reports during the battle."

The book is 710 pages in length. The book contains extensive amounts of information on all of the units that served under the XXXVIII Korps during the battle, including some surprising new information on the 250. Spanish Infantry division.

The accompanying map set contains 54 full color, 80lb. paper, glossy 12X18 maps. All contained within a black and gold slip case. See my website for additional information on the book and the map set (http://www.wehrmachtbericht.com)

The book can be ordered directly from Lulu (http://www.lulu.com/shop/brian-burmeist ... 79390.html) and the map set can be purchased directly from my website (http://www.wehrmachtbericht.com/page2.php).
krichter33
Enthusiast

Re: NEW BOOK! -- The Battle of the Wolchow Kessel in Primary German Documents, Volume I

Post by krichter33 »

This looks really interesting! I'm going to have to buy this one.
Klaus Richter
Maus
Supporter

Re: NEW BOOK! -- The Battle of the Wolchow Kessel in Primary German Documents, Volume I

Post by Maus »

Thanks Klaus. I think you will enjoy the book. It is the first of hopefully many volumes on the Battle of the Wolchow Kessel. I will try to get some pictures of the book and map set on this post today. Thanks!

Brian B.
Maus
Supporter

Post by Maus »

Here is a picture of the book and the map set...
Attachments
0221171320.jpg
0221171320.jpg (673.52 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
Maus
Supporter

Post by Maus »

Thanks to everyone who has purchased the book so far. I should also note that if you register on Lulu, you will have access to the daily coupons. For instance, todays (3/16) coupon is 20% off on Print Books (use coupon code: LULU20). That would mean that the $79 list price would drop to roughly $63.20.