"Wiking" Volume 3 by Charles Trang

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

"Wiking" Volume 3 by Charles Trang

Post by John P. Moore »

I have been studying Volume 3 for over a week. This 567-page book published by Heimdal covers the period May 1943 - May 1945. I believe that this is the best book that Charles Trang has ever produced. Trang brings together a tremendous amount of useful information from multiple sources and presents it in a chronological manner that is easy to understand. There is an interesting 4-page table that lists "Wiking" officers who later served in other divisions, listing their unit in "Wiking" and their unit in their new formation. A further 18 pages of tables provides a nearly complete listing of officer command assignments within the division during June 1943, July 1944 and January 1945. The photo quality is excellent with plenty of new and interesting photos. The author does an excellent job of identifying the people in the photos such a the photo of Hstuf. Paul Planitzer from the Sturmgeschütz Batterie attached to the Wallonie Brigade at Tscherkassy that was found at NARA. While it is unfortunate that the publisher did not make the extra effort to include an English language text in the book I was able to understand the French text with moderate difficulty. However, I suspect that this is more of a page count issue since Heimdal published the two-volume set on the "Götz von Berlichingen" Division back in 2004 with both French and English text.
Massimiliano Afiero
Contributor

Re: "Wiking" Volume 3 by Charles Trang

Post by Massimiliano Afiero »

I arrived a few days ago and I can say that it is really an exceptional book. Congratulations to our friend Charles.

Waffen