The 23rd Waffen SS Volunteer Panzer Grenadier Division Nederland An Illustrated History

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Massimiliano Afiero
Contributor

The 23rd Waffen SS Volunteer Panzer Grenadier Division Nederland An Illustrated History

Post by Massimiliano Afiero »

This upcoming book by Massimiliano Afiero"The 23rd Waffen SS Volunteer
Panzer Grenadier Division Nederland An Illustrated History" Available Now.

This book is a detailed history of the 23rd Waffen-SS Division “Nederland,”
the Dutch volunteer SS combat formation. Employed exclusively on the
Eastern Front, except for a brief period in Croatia, the “Nederland”
formations participated in many of the most difficult defensive battles on the
northeastern front: Leningrad, the Narva bridgehead, the Tannenberg line,
Dorpat, in Kurland, Pomerania, and the Oder front, until the desperate battle
of the Halbe Pocket where the remnants of the division managed to avoid
total annihilation, escaping the Soviets and surrendering to American forces.
In all of these battles the “Nederland” volunteers showed their valor as true
Waffen-SS combatants, always in the front lines and always under constant
enemy pressure.

Size: 9″ x 12″ | 390 b/w images | 144 pp - ISBN13: 9780764350733
Binding: hard cover

Waffen
Attachments
00_book2.jpg
00_book2.jpg (48.89 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
Massimiliano Afiero
Contributor

Re: The 23rd Waffen SS Volunteer Panzer Grenadier Division Nederland An Illustrated History

Also available on Amazon and other distributors on the Web.

Waffen
B.Leigh

Re: The 23rd Waffen SS Volunteer Panzer Grenadier Division Nederland An Illustrated History

Post by B.Leigh »

I've purchased this book but I can't recommend it as a serious historical study. The introduction glorifies the Waffen-SS, which leads me to question the rest of the content.There are no footnotes in the book so impossible to tell what sources are used exactly where.

The photographic quality is poor and many photos are given captions which assert certain years and location, with no indication as to why. A number of the photos are also recycled in the 'Langemarck' book by the same author.

The inclusions of a generic technical description of a Sd.Kfz.251 (with a photo of a Sd.Kfz.250!) and Panther tank add nothing to the book i.e. there is no description of how the machines were actually used by the subject of the book.

Schiffer took the cheap route and left all the original maps from the Italian edition...in Italian.

Disappointing.
Massimiliano Afiero
Contributor

I collaborated with Massimiliano Afiero to the book. Criticism when they are constructive, are always nice, but when a person, just enrolled at the forum (1 post) deliberately attacks the contents of a book without them even read, it seems to me absurd. In the book does not glorify the Waffen SS and for the first time is traced the history of the division. The notes are included at the end of the book, for all chapters. For the rest, if this person wants to contact me for questions, you can send me an MP. I ask the moderator of the forum to take action.

Waffen211
Massimiliano Afiero
Contributor

For maps, they had been translated, but it was the publisher to want to leave the original ones.

Waffen211
Massimiliano Afiero
Contributor

Two Customer Reviews (positive, five star) from Amazon.com

This title breaks new ground in the history of the Waffen SS,covering in full detail the volunteer "Nederland" combat formation,and the battle fronts where they served.Well illustrated with photos, the vast majority of which I have never seen in any other SS history titles. Strategic battle fronts such as,The Bridgehead at Narva, Kurland,The Pomeranian Front,The Oder Front,and The Halbe Pocket,are covered in great detail. The actions of many individual volunteers,and commanders are also mentioned,and to conclude a very detailed appendix covers such topics as; Knights Cross Recipients,(by name,rank,date,and unit),German Cross in Gold Recipients,(28 in total),"Nederland" Unit Commanders,Cuff Titles,Sleeve Patches,
Propaganda Posters,and even armoured vehicles used by "Nederland". To sum up - without doubt a valuable,and long awaited addition to the history of volunteer divisions of the SS.

Great production qualities. A beautiful and well made book.
Maps are untranslated from the Italian.
Lots of good photos and background on this division.
No major complaints and a good addition to your library for the right price. Prices range considerably so shop around.

Waffen211