New 11. Pz Div history "Ghost Division"

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

krichter33
Enthusiast

New 11. Pz Div history "Ghost Division"

Post by krichter33 »

I just got the new 11. Panzer Division history by Ganz "Ghost Division," from Stackpole books. This book is extremely detailed and tactical. Exactly what I like. It looks very comprehensive and not just some fluff general history. The only problem I seem to have with it so far is the maps, though some are pretty detailed, are all hand drawn with black ink, and are hard to differentiate between units, towns, river, ext... It takes some time to make them out. But other than that this book, is very deep, all the way down to platoon level, with a lot of personalities discussed with the different units. The book is over 400 pages, 8 by 10, double column, hardcover. Also Ganz, who has a PhD in history and is a former U.S. armored platoon commander, uses a lot of primary archival sources....I wish more unit histories in English were this detailed! I highly recommend it!
Klaus Richter
Helmut
Patron

Re: New 11. Pz Div history "Ghost Division"

Post by Helmut »

Servus,

I have bought a lot of German language books over the years and I could never figure out why such excellent books had such poor maps. A lot of them had, as this book apparently has, hand drawn maps. While better than no maps at all, they are , in my opinion of poor quality considering how much most of these books cost.

Regards,

Helmut
John W. Howard

Re: New 11. Pz Div history "Ghost Division"

Post by John W. Howard »

Thanks for the review Krichter!! I have been waiting for an 11PzD book for a long time. Best wishes.
John W. Howard