Sledgehammers

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

596th AEC

Sledgehammers

Post by 596th AEC »

Is Sledgehammers: Strengths and Flaws of Tiger Tank Battalions in World War II is it any good? I'm looking for a book that covers the history of the tiger and the tiger in combat. Most books I come a across little history a LOT of Photos.

thanks!
Matt.
Jukka Juutinen
Supporter

Re: Sledgehammers

Post by Jukka Juutinen »

I read it years ago and if my memory isn't too rotten I think this book is just the opposite with few photos and mostly text. It does rely to a degree of Tom Jentz's Tiger books (esp. the volume with combat reports).
Dale
Supporter

Post by Dale »

Hello Matt -- There are some excellent Tiger books out there -- books that cover all the abteilungen with key dates / info etc. and there are good picture books / the best in my opinion are the unit histories like 503, 507, 508 and Carius' covering much of 502...
I have helped a few Tiger veterans with publishing their personal stories - Alfred Rubbel (503) Horst Kroenke (503/505) and Guenther Polzin (502)....
Let me now if you are specifically interested in / and don't know about any of the above...
Dale
596th AEC

Post by 596th AEC »

I kind of look for something that deals organization, tactics, first person accounts. I look at Germanys Tiger Tanks: Tiger I & Tiger II: Combat Tactics I and Tigers in Combat, Vol. 1 and Vol2 But them seam to have more photos then information.