Review: Into Oblivion

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

sniper1shot

Review: Into Oblivion

Post by sniper1shot »

Title: Into Oblivion- Kharkov to Stalingrad the story of Pionier-Bataillon 305
Authour: Jason Mark
Publisher: Leaping Horseman Books
ISBN: 978-0-9922749-0-0
Stars: 5
(out of 5)
Picked this book up as soon as it came off the press. I will admit that I am a fan of Jason's work and this book did not disappoint me. This book is on 1x battalion of Pioneers that left France on their way to Russian and in less than a year was destroyed. There is nothing particular on this battalion, nothing elite, and nothing that would make it stand out from all the other battalions that disappeared in the expanses of Russia. Just a regular Pioneer Battalion in an infantry division. The authour came across a wealth of information on this one unit and here is it's story.
The book starts off with the battalion in France doing its share of garrison duty. The unit received its marching orders for Russia in '42 and off they went to do their part. The chapters all cover certain periods of time in a sort of 'diary' style. Almost as soon as the unit disembarks off their trains they begin to fight. Parts of the unit have already been in fights while other parts are still traveling by train.
The fighting in Stalingrad is vividly described. You feel with the soldiers, both German & Russian as they are fighting for certain areas, blocks, buildings, trenches in the doomed city. There are maps and building photos through out the book that assist the reader to see what the soldiers were seeing. After the mass of casualties incurred on the German units, you get to read on how one unit is disbanded and the survivors absorbed into another.
The book ends with the survivors being taken POW by the Soviets and how some of them made out. Some were treated alright and some were not. The final chapters cover some of the survivors of Stalingrad and also some of the soldiers that managed to avoid being a POW due to injuries or invalided out before Stalingrad fell. Most, if not all, of the photos have never been seen and there are a few maps through out.
:[] Recommended !
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.