New Graf Strachwitz biography

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

krichter33
Enthusiast

New Graf Strachwitz biography

Post by krichter33 »

There is a new Graf Strachwitz biography being published later this year by Casemate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/161200 ... UTF8&psc=1
Klaus Richter
Carson

Re: New Graf Strachwitz biography

Post by Carson »

Many thanks Klaus for the helpful link (I have just pre-ordered it), about time a comprehensive account of his exploits were cataloged. During imprisonment as a POW of France in WWI he feigned insanity and spent the rest of that war in an institution. It came as a surprise that David Glantz in "Blood, Steel and Myth" was rather scathing of the Panzer Graf's role at Kursk during WWII. Best Wishes.
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

I think you mean George Nipe's "Blood Steel and Myth." Yes, he tends to be rather critical of Strachwitz's performance during Kursk, and seems to side more with Decker. Of course I really don't know what the truth of the matter is. It is the same with General Hermann Balck. He is considered one of Germany's finest armored commanders, yet in Maier's book "Drama Between Budapest and Vienna" he is completely trashed! I always tend to believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Klaus Richter
Carson

Post by Carson »

krichter33 wrote:I think you mean George Nipe's "Blood Steel and Myth." Yes, he tends to be rather critical of Strachwitz's performance during Kursk, and seems to side more with Decker. Of course I really don't know what the truth of the matter is. It is the same with General Hermann Balck. He is considered one of Germany's finest armored commanders, yet in Maier's book "Drama Between Budapest and Vienna" he is completely trashed! I always tend to believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Good eyes Klaus it was indeed George Nipe who wrote "Blood, Steel and Myth."posting.php?mode=quote&f=33&p=240081#
Paul E
Supporter

Post by Paul E »

As a Student / researcher and Tour Guide of the Narva Battles in Estonia i was hoping this book would contain new information on the early 1944 Strachwitz Battles and the Panzer Graf himself however i was severely disappointed !!

A regurgitation of old info , some of which is incorrect , nothing new at all and for me a complete waste of money :down:
Jukka Juutinen
Supporter

Post by Jukka Juutinen »

Just looking into this book's bibliography reveals how thin is the ground Bagdonas is on!
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

krichter33 wrote:I think you mean George Nipe's "Blood Steel and Myth." Yes, he tends to be rather critical of Strachwitz's performance during Kursk, and seems to side more with Decker. Of course I really don't know what the truth of the matter is. It is the same with General Hermann Balck. He is considered one of Germany's finest armored commanders, yet in Maier's book "Drama Between Budapest and Vienna" he is completely trashed! I always tend to believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
It doesn't surprise me that Maier doesn't think highly of Balck. I read where Balck was not a big fan of the Waffen SS and either fairly or unfairly, tended to demeantheir fighting ability.

Regards,

Helmut
Paul E
Supporter

Post by Paul E »

Jukka Juutinen wrote:Just looking into this book's bibliography reveals how thin is the ground Bagdonas is on!
Totally agree Jukka some of the sources he has drawn information from are very poor themselves !!

A real waste of money unfortunately !