Theodor Plievier

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Rolf Steiner
Associate

Theodor Plievier

Post by Rolf Steiner »

A 1956 copy of Plievier's 'Moscow' just fell into my hands. Anybody rate him?
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: Theodor Plievier

Post by fridgeman »

Rate Plevier, thats a thing people tried for the last 55 years. I red quite a few books by Plevier,
of course the well known books "Moscow", "Stalingrad", and "Berlin".

I personally think they are accurate the most time, they are a good read if you are interested in ww2 east front.
But have a few things in mind when reading them. Even if the books are about a real war and real people, its
a fictional book still, and not a scientific work. Plevier was against the war, and when the nazis came to power
in 1933, his books were works were banned. He emigrated to the sowjet union and lived in moscow until 1945.

To make it short, his books are good work and very accurate in my personal opinion. But especially Stalingrad, which
he wrote during his moscow period, is to be read with a bit caution.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I have the same three books by Pliever that I bought over 25 years ago which I have enjoyed reading multiple times.

John
Lexxx
Supporter

Post by Lexxx »

I always thought the ending of Plievier's book on Stalingrad was fascinating . . . the Germans all holed up in and about Red Square, basically knowing it was over, and allowing the Soviets to come in and accept Paulus' surrender. I don't know if that is the way it actually went down, but it made riveting reading. Peace.
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Thanks for the responses, gents. Yes, managed to glean a little of the author's background as an emigre to USSR. Doesn't seem to be a particular pro-soviet bias in what I've read so far, seems equally critical of both regimes. Enjoying his writing anyhow. Currently revisiting Guy Sajer... dare I open that can of worms again!
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"