Naval and Military Bookstores in Germany

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

jmdeur

Naval and Military Bookstores in Germany

Post by jmdeur »

I travel to Germany fairly often and am always looking for good bookstores (both new and used) that have large sections of naval and military material. I'm familar with Fuchs, Wede, and Galerie Maritim in Hamburg, Christian Schmidt in Munich, and Zinnfiguren and Reimer in Berlin - any others that I'm missing in these cities or elsewhere in Germany? How about large general bookstores that might have good miliary and naval sections (Thalia, etc.)? Thanks for any leads!
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Re: Naval and Military Bookstores in Germany

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

Helmut Weitze in Hamburg is excellent and well worth a visit. Also Torsten Bernhardt in Johanniswall 3, near the Hbf, keeps a good second-hand collection of unit histories and military books.

Otherwise, most of the military bookshops seem to be online with minimal shop presence. As for the mainstream Thalia, Hugendubel, Rombach and the like, slender pickings. The big Thalia near the Hauptbahnhof in Hamburg had a pretty decent selection of history/WW2 books - probably the best I've seen in a mainstream store in Germany. :[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Ronald Lameck
Supporter

Post by Ronald Lameck »

Unfortunately I cannot give the name of the place - I never paid attention to it. It was 2005, on our first visit to Germany, and we did not then know if we would ever get back. I encountered a smallish store on the main east-west street, north side of the street, in Rothenburg an der Tauber. It literally over-flowed with military and naval books. I recall leafing through a book about the Imperial fleet that fought in the Battle of Jutland (Skaggerak). I could have spent days in the place (and in the town!), but we had a schedule to keep. If you ever get to the town, look for it.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
I don't know if it's still open but I used to frequent ( and spend megabucks) at the Guenther Richter Bookstore in Berlin.
I got a lot of my unit histories there many years ago.

Merry Christmas

Regards,

Helmut